Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie needs help with timer1 delay please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schwuppes

Hi everyone!

Im very new to PIC programming and hope to get some help with timer1... I'm using MPLAB IDE 8.20

I am required to create a 75mS delay with timer1.
I am using a PIC 16F870 with a 4Mhz crystal
So the instruction cycle is 1 microsecond.

Sorry Im really totally new to this and just havent got my head around programming yet. I havent found much help on timer1 on the net either.

I have used the following formula to get the number i have to put into TMR1 to achieve a 75mS delay:

65536 - (75mS x (1Mhz / 8)
which gives me 56161 which is DB61 in hex
So I then load DB into TMR1H and 61 into TMR1L. Is this right so far?

And this is what Ive written so far:

BCF PIR1,0
CLRF TMR1L
MOVLW 0X0B
MOVWF TMR1H
MOVLW 0XDC
MOVWF TMR1L

TIME1

BSF T1CON,0
BTFSS PIR1,0
GOTO TIME1

EDIT:
For some reason this code is only giving me a 62mS delay in the stopwatch

To be honest Im a bit stuck right now as to how to continue from here... hope someone can point me in the right direction. :)

cheers!

Last edited:
You are on the right track but I can't see where you setup T1CON. As the delay you need is 75,000 instructions and timer1 can only count to 65,536 then you need a prescaler. You appear to have chosen 8 when 2 would provide better accuracy. You can also use the assembler to do the calculation.

Code:
Period	equ	0x10000-(.75000/2)

movlw	0x10		;set timer 1 to prescaler 2
	movwf	T1CON		;but don't start it yet

movlw	high(Period)
	movwf	TMR1H
	movlw	low(Period)
	movwf	TMR1L

bcf	PIR1,TMR1IF	;clear interrupt flag
	bsf	T1CON,TMR1ON	;start timer 1
wait	btfss	PIR1,TMR1IF	;wait for interrupt flag
	goto	wait

Mike.

Thanks very much Mike I greatly appreciate your help. :) It works now! I will visit this board more often I think.

Seems like I don't quite understand how the prescaler works, I thought using a prescaler of 8 would have made it more accurate and not the other way around :eek:

Greetings from Perth :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back