Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie: I am not getting enough amperes

Status
Not open for further replies.

king.oslo

Hello there :)

A petrol burner I have uses 12V DC to heat a glow plug to ignite petrol.

I have connected my glow plug to laptop charger that has been set to 12V DC. On the back of the charger it says it allows for max 6A at 12V.

My multimeter says i am getting aprox 1AMp through my glow plug. Problem is that the glow plug doesnt get hot like ot should.

Earlier today, we connected the same glow plug to my friend's power supply. There, the glow plug worked just fine, but there, it got 5,5 amps.

So my question is: why isn't my power supply giving enough amps? It says it should give max 6A on the back.

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,
Marius

hi,
Use an ohm meter to check the COLD resistance of the glow plug, it could be much lower than its HOT resistance.
If the COLD plug draws too much current it maybe your power supply is going into current limit at 1amp.

hi,
Use an ohm meter to check the COLD resistance of the glow plug, it could be much lower than its HOT resistance.
If the COLD plug draws too much current it maybe your power supply is going into current limit at 1amp.

Hello,

Thanks for quick reply.

My multimeter says cold resistance is 0.7Ω.

NOTE: When I measured amps, the amperes would jump between 0,6 and 1,5.

What are your views?

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Marius

Last edited:
0.7 Ω on a 12 V supply implies about 20 A. It might be a bit less if the resistance changes when hot.

You need a 20A supply.

The laptop power supply will not produce 6 A into such a low resistance. Even if it can produce 6 A into a 12 V load, with a 0.7 Ω load, it might well only produce 1 A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back