Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie - Atmel, PIC, PICAXE, ASM, C, BASIC, Argh too many choices!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee_Speakman

Hi all, im Lee and I study Electronic Engineering at University in the UK.

Im currently entering my 3rd year and my Project is to design a Digital Dash, 10 channel datalogger and GPS for a formula student race car (See Attachment)

My experience in this field goes back to Z80 Dats at college, and last year another Digital Dash using a Basic Stamp 2 (See Attachment) This was a doddle to programme, but is too easy for a 3rd year project and I was running it flat out.

Ive been researching for the last week and I am none the wiser what microcontroller I should use and what language I should do it in.

I also looking into some control systems on the car using fuzzy logic, and I dont know how hard this would be to programme in assembler.

Ive done C/C++ before, but I wouldnt say its my strengths. People say the Atmel chips are good for this and I was going to go for an STK500 Development board, but they appear like gold dust in the UK. Ive looked at PICS but there doesnt seem to be any tutorials on either proccessors how to start with C.

I do like the 'BASIC' language, can this be used with PIC's?

This project will run for about 8 months, and I feel its quite daunting but achievable for myself if I work hard at understanding the micro controllers in the summer.

Any help or advice would be much apprechiated.

regards, Lee S

Attachments

• news_pic.jpg
    news_pic.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 150
  • dash.JPG
    dash.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 167
Microchip PIC family is always growing. I use them since awhile now. The new 24 serie is amazing but probably too much for what you need to do. The 18Fs serie are really capable of.

Yes you can use Basic to program them. You need a compiler like Melabs PICBasic Pro, Crowhnhill Proton and so on. Personnally i use Melabs PICBasic PRO.

You can also do everything in assembler... it's not really complicated... it's just really long when you begin and. So i guess it will depend how many time you want to spend on it.

There's also few C compiler on the market, Hi-Tech C, CCS and those from Microchip . I also use Hi-Tech C.

Yes you'll find some code example in their respective website. Most compiler have also their own forum, that's a nice ressource.

Most compiler will allow you to use embedded assembler lines in your code. Sometimes we have to use assembler pleased or not ;)

HTH

Last edited:
Thankyou very much Mr E. Should I get a Pickit 2? These support the 18F Series microcontrollers. IIRC these have built in ADC's which would be of great use. :D

Pickit 2 seems to be a nice start point. I can't vouch on as i don't have it.

I use breadboards or do my own PCB for some specific long-run project developpement.

As device programmer, i use a BK Precision 844a wich is a universal device programmer. Sure it's more expensive but it really worth the cost IF and ONLY IF you plan to do an extensive use of different EEPROMs and/or Microcontroller brands

PicStart was good before but now it seems to cause some strange Behavior on some newer device. Even using their 'workaround' sometimes it's not working. I stopped to use PICSTART and no longer recommend it now. Microchip ICD-2 seems to be a better solution.

There's still some 'close to be free' PIC programmer wich you can build yourself and use some FREE software. To start i guess it could be also interesting.

Being said... wich free PIC programmer and wich free Software should i use? Now i can't help, i don't use them. sure you can find some info in this forum.

have a look at the following link. I heard often good comment on this one on various forums.

Last edited:
I'll throw in a vote for the Atmel chips. Visit www.avrfreaks.net for a whole pile of AVR resources. There's a handful of "programmers" which are essentially resistors tacked on to the parallel port.

The STK500 is sorta useful if you need to use some of the more obscure programming mechanisms, but considering (nearly) everything can be programmed using a 6 pin header, I'd just grab a $40USD AVRISP (v1 or v2) programmer and a handful of chips and breadboard something - or roll your own programmer if you're on a shoestring budget.

The main reason I've stuck with the AVR line is the free compiler support - avg-gcc works without having any oddball license restrictions, plus there are a handful of free assemblers around. I'd guess that if you need to do any moderately complex math or logic, a C compiler would simplify things a bit.

If you like the AVR, see www.bastoc.com for a basic compiler. Free for two hundred lines of code.

For the pic, there is a mikrobasic that gives you 2K of binary.. And it works with the AVR (Atmel) as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back