Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

new project next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
I am just starting to research my projects for next year, I still have to finish the incubator one first, and my 30F article is coming along! i haven't updated the thread for a while, but I have been writing it in word and taking notes on paper.
So for next year!

Dad suggested to someone on here, that they could make a globe hang by magnetic levitation, he also suggested as it was a globe they could find a way to make it spin slowly. I probably wont start with the soldering iron until February sometime, it takes me a while to plan stuff out first and research it. But i am going to do something a bit different, i am not doing a globe, but a medium sized ball bearing, my idea is to do it mainly analogue and make it 3D!
What i want to be able to do is make the ball move in any direction, so it can move up and down and side to side, or do things like loops :D.
Ive had a good think about it and i am pretty sure it can be done without too much trouble. End of jan i will start posting full details :D

I looked into this one time, but it was analogue so not much use to you.

Alot of it will be analogue, i am going to use 2 hall effect sensors per solenoid, i might have a hall sensor between the coil's as well (depends on some test's). The main difference apart from being able to make it do circles, i am going to make the coils push/pull so i can get maximum control from the coils, any information at this stage would be good.
I could have a go at all analogue, and if i can get hold of one use a old serial joystick to control direction, it's all just idea's for now, and reading up on the techniques.

Way ahead of what I was thinking LG, it was just an idea for a project for the mrs, she does woodwork and makes pretty holders and cases for things I do occaisionally.
I was thinking single solenoid, op amp and infra red pair nothing more.

Single solenoid and opamp, Hmmm. I would still go with 2 hall sensors, one top of the coil and one bottom of the coil, they will cancel out the coil field, that way any change has to be from whatever your floating. Also i was thinking probably something like a H bridge, most the magnetic levitation things i have seen have the same problem, you cant get the object too close to the coil, or the hall sensor is swamped and the object sticks to the coil. But I think if you have a coil that you can switch either way, then it can push the object away or pull it towards the coil, so you should be able to get much better control and less oscillation. I think if you add another solenoid t the bottom then you can push upwards as well, that means you could get the ball to bounce up and down :D, and adjust its speed :D, should be possible to do it all with analogue. I think for most of it Opamp's would be better than a micro

A magazine (Elector I think) did a fully analogue version of a levitating ball. It used a light beam to measure position and implemented PID control using opamps. I googled but can't find it but someone here might have an old copy. What I did find was,

Have fun,

Mike.

I wonder how the designer managed with the field from the electromagnet interracting with the field from the neo.

The full project is for end of year (school year, June) Tech project, and as a ornament! I found a video of a guy, he thinks he has built a generator that outputs more than it's input, Its kind of a disk with loads of coils. His mistake is he is measuring the back emf, and so thinks because he is putting 12V in and getting 40V at various points that he has magically made a gain!:rolleyes:
The reason i am interested is because he has wound the coils in a special way, they look very decorative and intricate. I want these coil's on a clear plastic disc in a circle,around the top. The idea is a Globe that hangs in space but turns slowly (turning is driven by the decorative coils), the good bit tho is i should be able to light the major cities on the globe, using inductive coupling from the coil's. For the levitation part i will use 2 solenoid coils, one top and one bottom. Both will have 2 hall sensor's one top one bottom, if i drive them both as push pull then it should be very stable. I have not described this at all well, i will redo it another time, mostly it's all in my head at present so hard to get it on screen.
But it should look stunning and be different from the rest, i am aiming for top prize again:D.
I know i still ask basic question's, some are a bit stupid and i sometimes get stuff muddled or wrong, but i am learning all kinds of things very fast now. This site has helped massively

Its called overunity, they think you can make free energy. I am still waiting.....................

At school when we had to make a led torch:rolleyes: we were meant to use pp9 9V batteries and 1 led, i did my own version with 1.5V battery and boost circuit. Even my teacher thought it was free energy!!
Dad say's no such thing as a free lunch, and points out that even when you die you get taxed! so dyeing isnt free either. The other point he makes is, even if they ever managed to do it, by the time the government finished taxing it, it would be a very long way from free!

lol

I just realized this morning as I looked out into the cold that if I want free heat all I have to do is move to the equator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back