Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New member post limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
Is there any reason new member post limitation can't be removed? We've been getting a LOT of people posting in others threads due to the new member limitation making it so they can't post their own threads for a bit, and it doesn't appear to be thinning down on spammers at all.

It helps cut down on the automated spammers, one post wonders, and home work due tomorrows. It's not perfect, no matter what is tried, someone will try a work around. Maybe restrict posting to a single, or a couple forums. But I don't think it's a better idea than what we have. New users are important to the health of the site, just a few are the problem (likely the same people, different E-mail/logins). It's important to welcome new people, and get them involved in discussions, which means they need to be able to reply to the threads that interest them most. Nobody likes it when everybody must suffer, just because of a few bad apples. We do need to control spam, as it can make the site useless.

I don't what all the current restrictions are on new users, but think keeping them to a minimal inconvenience is the best strategy, since we need the new people to keep the site strong. I believe there is an option to 'flag' a post, and you give a reason for being offended. This would bring it to a moderator's attention, who would take appropriate action. They do a great job here, and it would help out some.

I understand this Harvey, but the current system REQUIRES new posters to post questions in others threads first. Have you noticed the increased number of 'great info' 'good job' 'I like this thread' responses recently? As well as the increased number of people posting full fleshed out questions in someone elses threads because they can't post new ones?

The solution thus far is more of a problem than previously as far as erroneous posts go. I understand the need and reasons for some sort of moderation of new users, but I believe the current system needs to be changed. To what, I'm not exactly sure, but the existing system will continue to produce these errant posts and short pointless responses in threads artificially bloating forum traffic, and leading to a decreased level of communication overall in the forums.

Traffic is not god, the days when this forum becomes too annoying to use the core posters will abandon it, and then it will be nothing but spam.

I don't know what the current restrictions are but not being able to post new threads doesn't appear to be one of them. Here is a thread started by someone with 1 post.

Mike.

Last edited:
New members are allowed to create threads or reply to threads. However, if they have a url or email in them they will be placed into a moderation queue and a moderator reviews it.

When the member has more than 3 posts the restrictions are removed as they have proved to be real people - and not just bots or spammers.

If we removed this, you would see a tone of spam. I am always open to suggestions on making it better.

There will always be new users who will post their questions in any manner they can. They want answers NOW, either a pressing repair job, or homework due the next day. They just stumbled across Electrotech while searching the internet. Most don't seem to interested in the forum, other than a quick solution to the current problem, and will probably re-register the next time they need help (lost password, forgot they were here before, don't want to be associated with past behavior...). Don't see anyway around this, they will find the forum, post what ever they need to, just to get what they originally came for. Its really something the moderators have to deal with on an individual bases. We want to block the spam, but we don't want to turn people away, or off the hobby. There are a lot of people who are interested, and this a great place to get started, some get off to a bad start, others are just use to taking advantage of others, don't really give a damn if it might cause problems for anybody else later. It just takes a few posts to get to know what their about.

I completely agree with Harvey.

People will just post in any thread. The might not even know how toy use the forum or really be bothered about learning, all they want is a solution to thier problem.

I hope its OK to post here some.
I have some problem here, when joining this forum, limitation and my place (where should I).
I think it is better to give the new members with some questions that direct them to their right place before starting thread instead of limiting them.

How long is this moderation queue ?

I posted a reply some 24 hours ago to another post and it has not yet appeared,

Cheers.
Adam

What would have happend to my post as it contained a hyper-thread. Is is sent straight to the bin or will it appaear after a few days ?

Cheers
Adam

I believe that if any of your first 3 post contain a hyperlink then they go into a moderation queue. See ElectroMasters post above.

Mike.

Can I add to this thread about contstant posters/ bloggers that have seems to clog this forum. Now look at this thread only myself and electromaster are paid members. My opnion is if you think this forum is great SUPPORT it.

Can I put forward a proposal as we seem to have a select few non-paying members who insist on making this forum a personal blog...

5 posts a day maximum for NON-SUPPORTING MEMBERS.

My 2.2 cents worth

Bryan

P.S. Electromaster if you feel this is too strong of a message please delete it.
P.P.S. Pommie I don't mean you

That's completely absurd bryan. This forum does not have trouble with a few users doing a lot of posts, it's a LOT of users doing a few posts. You don't limit posters, that will catastrophically cripple site traffic, as soon as people see that you require them to pay to post more than 5 message they'll leave for greener pastures.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back