Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New idea for project.. help.. !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm... because some of my senior project have been taken up by local companies and they are just improving his project only. Do you know a car company named Proton?

Now you know how is the schooling in asia. Is too sad for me. I hope i could born in europe country and have a better live style.

well, my teacher just ask us to think any idea project that no one have done it before or take the idea of an existing project but use it into another way or add on features.

hmm... my first mail about the components is what my teacher wants in the circuit. what project is simply that can be done by 4 people? with each of the group member must have a task to do so in the end all of the member will combine together and produce one new project.

yes i do know the proton cars and a time ago it would be taken over by volkswagen but i don't know if that one came through or not
what whas the project they took over from you ?

on life style, europe is higher than malaysia but that means not beter

now on your project

how much time do you have and how much money can you spend?

and i still keep saying try somthing not to advanced but know everything in the smallest detail from what you make

Robert-Jan

I'd think there would be way to much photon noise for simple LDR sensors to work in this scenario.

If I were making this project I would have a high presicion laser sensor.. IF THEY EVEN EXIST AND DONT COST THOASANDS OF DOLLARS.. mounted on a stepper motor.. which would be stationed at the same height as the headlights of the car... probably where the front embelem would be.

The laser would then scan ahead for light sources which are both at the appropriate height and intensity... scanning a verticle range which is inside the shortest and tallest headlight positions that may be encountered.

This concept seems very impractical and unsafe..

Could you not construct drawings and small.. (none working) models for your presentation.

Good Luck.

rjvh - this company still haven improve on its quality till today. so if you can built something like volvo (BLIS system) but with cheap and good quality that can be used in proton cars they might consider it. who knows.

i only given 14 weeks to complete the project and the college only given my group 100 malaysian ringgit which is surely not enough as my lecturer say.So about the budget maybe could add about 200 malaysian ringgit.

i try not to do a high technology project as my budget was very little and the headlamp thing i found the circuit which is very simple to built. But this circuit only need 1 people to complete it so i have to add something into the circuit which i was thinking about doing speed limit alert(is this too advance for me).

jonkbu said:
rjvh - this company still haven improve on its quality till today. so if you can built something like volvo (BLIS system) but with cheap and good quality that can be used in proton cars they might consider it. who knows.

i only given 14 weeks to complete the project and the college only given my group 100 malaysian ringgit which is surely not enough as my lecturer say.So about the budget maybe could add about 200 malaysian ringgit.

i try not to do a high technology project as my budget was very little and the headlamp thing i found the circuit which is very simple to built. But this circuit only need 1 people to complete it so i have to add something into the circuit which i was thinking about doing speed limit alert(is this too advance for me).

Yow. Sounds like you don't have the world's greatest teacher there--that's unfortunate. :(

So it sounds like you found a circuit you want to use? If you don't understand how it works or how to modify it for what you want, you can post it and we'll help you out. I think you'll probably want to build two sensors at the very least, as I said before: one for taillights and one for headlights.

How about adding ultrasonic rangefinders to the rear of the vehicle for the extra part of the project, with a little display on the dash? It's fairly simple to build and program, but there are lots of tweaks/modifications you can do.

Torben

speed limmit alert should be possible to do
i remember a schematic from a few years ago in a electronic hobby magazine
I can look for you and post it but i can not garantee if it works first hand (never build it myself)
but before a magazine publish it they will test it defenetly

have to look it up

Robert-Jan

for the headlamp i found many types of schematic but i does not know which one to use it and definitely i have to add on sensor/ ultrasonic to modify the current circuit. these are the schematic i found on the web :

View attachment 40krvr1.pdf
View attachment 40KHZDET7.pdf
headlights.gif
darksw.gif
hdlights.gif
sensor2.gif

for the speed limit alert :

SpeedAl.gif

see this schematic

it works with a signal pick up from the speedo meeter (speedo meter has a rotating magnet to power the needle)

if you have a digital speedo meter you have to pick something up from the drive axel of the car

the main point is that you have a puls to feed the opamp that is speed related

sucsess with your project ;)

Robert-Jan

Attachments

• speed alarm.pdf
    380.2 KB · Views: 270
jonkbu said:
for the headlamp i found many types of schematic but i does not know which one to use it and definitely i have to add on sensor/ ultrasonic to modify the current circuit. these are the schematic i found on the web :

I'd test Tony van Roon's first. I don't think you need 40kHz detector circuits; you're not trying to detect 40kHz anything. The light from the oncoming headlights won't be modulated. Those two PDF circuits look to me like something you might use with an IR remote control. I meant ultrasonic object detection for your blind spots when backing up. There are a few threads about these things on this board. Sometimes they are called 'ultrasonic tape measures', except for this purpose they're even simpler: you don't need to display a distance, just light up warning lights on the dash if something gets too close to the rear of the vehicle while you're backing up.

Here's another idea for the speed alarm, this one based on a microcontroller. It would be reasonably simple to program alarms into the code and wire up an alarm and some switches to choose the alarm speeds. **broken link removed**

Robert-Jan's circuit has the advantage that it already includes adjustment pots and you don't need to program a microcontroller.

Torben

i have another problem. my lecturer say that in a circuit must have at least 4 function due to my group has 4 members. so for the headlamp circuit i have add on 3 more features. How??

jonkbu said:
i have another problem. my lecturer say that in a circuit must have at least 4 function due to my group has 4 members. so for the headlamp circuit i have add on 3 more features. How??

Four features:

1) Headlight sensor/automatic dimming system.

2) Speed limit warning system.

3) Parking sonar (ultrasonic rear range alert) (if you want to do that).

4) ???

If you want to do the parking sonar, then you only have to think of one more feature.

Torben

jonkbu said:
but in the end i have to combine all this 4 function into 1 circuit... is that possible?

You could do all of this with a microcontroller. You could have one student responsible for each sensor/display circuit, but first the whole team should get together and decide on a controller, inputs/outpus, etc.

Maybe your lecturer would accept this: have three students working on different sensor systems, and the fourth student could design the central microcontroller circuit. The group could work together or select a member to write the code.

Torben

jonkbu said:
that means i have to find out 3 function and then add a microcontroller to the circuit?

No, re-read my posts. You have three features (headlight detector, speed limit alert, and parking sonar) plus the microcontroller brain to control it all and provide a user interface.

Torben

meaning is that use the microcontroller to control all three function? and have to do some programming?

i found one about radio controller? is it the same? or can be used?

jonkbu said:
meaning is that use the microcontroller to control all three function? and have to do some programming?

Yes. Do you know any programming?

i found one about radio controller? is it the same? or can be used?

No, that's a device for remotely controlling a model car/plane etc. What you would need is a microcontroller, which is a tiny computer on a chip which you can program to do what you need. Google for 'PIC' (read Nigel's PIC tutorials), 'AVR', or '8051'. Maybe where you live 8051s will be easiest to find.

Torben

my lecturer haven teach me about programming but he mention it about teaching us PIC.

ok. i will search it on the net.

Torben said:
Four features:

2) Speed limit warning system.

Torben

HMM thats a really good idea.. I wont mind having a circuit where I could punch in say .. 110 KM.. which would produce a screeching beeper everytime I went over ...

Would never speed again!!!

jonkbu:

Dont forget that most road signs are made to reflect the lights from your own headlights.. this could be brought up in your presentation..

talk about how this will affect your system ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back