Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New computer AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

Just ordered parts for my soon to be new computer. I planned on doing some gaming with the computer, so I got a decent Vid Card:
AMD Phenom II x2 Callisto 3.1Ghz
G.SKILL DDR2 1066 2GBx2
WD caviar black 640GB SATA 3.0 (with uv green sata cable)
ZOTAC 9800GT
ASUS M4A78 Plus AM3/AM2+/AM2 770 mobo
SAMSUNG combo drive

Should be here by friday (eastern time zone)

With a hardware spec like that it ought to cut the mustard as they say...:D

What OS ? Vista I guess..

Good luck with the build.. :)

Wait till Windows 7 64bit becomes the norm, then switch to 64bit. The speed improvements are marginal with Vista 64bit unless the application is a 64bit app.

Last edited:
Since you seem to be geared towards gaming, forget the 64-bit $hit and stick with 32. The 9800GT card is a venerable performer. I have the a 9800GTX by XFX and what a sweet card it is. Finally, I can set all of my game's settings to maximum and get frame rates of 70+ to over 90 at times. My Audigy 2 card also provides EAX sound for very good dimensional sound. The downside is there's a new BIOS release for my Asus mobo that allows for improved RAM and GPU graphics. I hate to fiddle with installing the BIOS however I could then install that extra gig of Corsair ram I have on hand.

My ancient BF1942 game doesn't strain hardware.
If anyone else plays it I'm Captain Crunch CDN and I play Midway maps.

Crysis looks great too.

Well, I used my wifes laptop earlier today. Wow, was that slow, I was just manipulating some files off of a digital camcorder. To be completely honest it was unusable. So, I'm going to do the decent thing and get myself a new, all singing, all dancing, computer. She will of course get my old one.:D

Background info, the laptop in question was bought in the UK in (I think) 2001.

So, the important question, are the GTX video cards worth the extra?

Mike.

The onboard video on the ASUS M3N78 is fast enough for video editing and you can always plop in a geforce card.
NLE is static video compared to modern gaming graphics.

As for BF1942 I have the online demo of it, but I have the full version of BF2. I prefer modernized warfare.... you know ... guns with resin stocks or a Barrett .50cal., compared to an M1 or a Thompson! FFOW is my fav but it's poorly supported and offers no mission editor. What a shame... KAOS dropped the ball big time on that game ... a map editor would've made it a killer game. Far Cry 2 is lame IMHO. COD 4 is ok but small, confined maps. I'm a sniper .... the old Novalogic DF2, DFLW, DFXtreme, DFBHD were good sniping games but their graphics were sub-par. FFOW uses the UnReal engine for its graphics.

Oh I see my enemy quite well .... either through a riflescope or the use of nightvision! ;)

I have zero problems with vista 64 bit. I see no issues with it, and it works great. What is the big deal. Every program I have runs on it at rediculous speed (crazy fps in CoD5) and it stays very cool. I am leaving this forum and going on to Overclockers Forums - Powered by vBulletin that will be my permanent residence.

My ancient BF1942 game doesn't strain hardware.
If anyone else plays it I'm Captain Crunch CDN and I play Midway maps.

Crysis looks great too.

I use to play BF1942, I played under the alias Smacklemeelmo :)

Captain Crunch Sounds familiar.

Last edited:
I still play the 5th Midway maps.

5th? I never played beyond the first and I found it somewhat a bore. I preferred maps like Stalingrad and Berlin. More in your face maps than the airplanes and ships. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back