Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New Alernative Energy Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan1

Well with the amount of grid tie crap and HHO this forum has become a joke so whynot change the name to ' GridTie myths and HHO crap but dont worry about RE as this is an Electronic's forum'

The way this part of the forum has become in reality, it's a place to spread jokes even when members try and put genuine stuff in threads (like me).

I fought hard to get this forum setup but these days '**** chat' should be the place jokes are spread.

A few past members have said to me why do you bother with that RE forum as anything usefull that is put in is shotdown buy the bloggers in this place.

I won't mention names but now 3 people have asked me to speak out.

Which was why I opposed it's creation, I said at the time it was just going to attract all the loonies and be a waste of time.

OK Nigel you have my vote to cancel this forum.........

and let's just say i made a bad call

Cheers Bryan

I think the effort in attempting to educate the HHO crowd is worth it. If we can get them off that wasteful polluting money pit and with any luck they'll put their efforts into real green technology.

As for the GTI stuff well it would be nice to see a tried and tested smaller design that functions and won't kill an electrician on the wrong side of it. Unlike UPS designs (mass consumer = cheap) the GTI is not mass consumer (yet) so it's on the pricy side (until the Chienese start taking an interest)

I do envy those who have built their own energy (solar, wind) collectors and would someday like to do the same. For now I'm doing my best to green the electronics I use around the house. Boy those Kill-A-Watt things are educational.

Last edited:
I think the effort in attempting to educate the HHO crowd is worth it. If we can get them off that wasteful polluting money pit and with any luck they'll put their efforts into real green technology.

Chalk me up in that category. Two weeks on this forum solidified my suspicions about HHO generation. After 9 months of making very inefficient water heaters and not enough hydrogen to drive a little RC gas engine you guys had hard scientific data to why this is not practical (unless you drive a nuclear sub!). Thankfully i've always been skeptical of hype when someone has something to sell and I didn't buy any "commercial" type units just enough stainless steel wall plates to remodel my house. :(

S&W

May I propose to make just a new title.
Just call the "new" forum S&W for Solar & Wind.
I hate to miss out on the innovative inputs from that small but highly interesting group.

I don't think it is possible to educate people that are in denial of any excising laws that could possibly pertain to their project or interest.

Last edited:
Well, a quick look at the current threads has me believing that the crank threads are (much) less than 10% of the total. Are 90% of the threads real questions? And if so, isn't that a good result?

Bryan,
I always found your post especially interesting as you were doing the off grid living. Apart from 1 or 2 silly posts on your threads, I think they have been well received and you should continue with them.

Mike.

I am rather confused as to whats the problem with the alternative energy section.

If what gets posted here helps someone to learn something or inspires them to do something new thats good enough for me!
I find the HHO inquiries interesting even if they are misguided. And the GTI stuff appears to still be an on going and open source research and development project if nothing else.
As far as follow up posts from people that do build anything with information they got here, its common knowledge that very little gets shown here in all sections!

I dont see an overwhelming misuse of the AE section by any means. The Grid tie inverter threads are holding there own well. The one has 17450 views. As far as I know that equates to new people coming here to some degree! I doubt it just 17 people that read it 1000+ times each!

I see as much miss guided and rehashed threads and what not in every other section as well. I could use examples but I am not a nit picker about that stuff.

If a person finds something here educational isn't that the whole point of this forum?
My understanding of electro Tech was it stood for electronics technology.

Alternative energy and fuels are electronics based technology that is still heavy in the development side especially related to personal system design and development research.

Because its new it has a lot of general misconceptions and bad information tied to it on the private use and application level.
I thought the work people do here is supposed to show others who to do things or at least how not to do them!

If places like this are not going to support it how is it going to develop further and become far more economical?
If tossing everything is your idea of improving the site your apparently not seeing the big picture and are part of the problem!

I don't really see much of a problem with it either, there really haven't been too many over unity folks. If you don't like the category simply mark it read when you log on and ignore it.

I think the grid tie and HHO stuff has been useful. Without saturating the forum, we get an insight into some of the thought process of the ambitious.

I hate to miss out on the innovative inputs from that small but highly interesting group.

That is actually a really good idea, since wind and solar project builders seem to be quite popular, and most are not TOO KOOKY.

That is actually a really good idea, since wind and solar project builders seem to be quite popular, and most are not TOO KOOKY.

Agreed don't want to miss out. I became interested in Electronics just because of that. I have learned so much from construction, Development and implementation. I am this biggest offender to the funny crap. But. all humor aside S&W is Smith and Wesson.

That will bring in the Gun People. But, then again with advanced weaponry these day's they will come anyways.

Maybe something like Sun/Wind Projects,Dev.

kv:)

Last edited:
Don't forget about water power! "Solar/Wind/Water Power". I'd say geothermal too...but that makes things unclear and long.

You *might* say "Green Power" but that might still attract the misguided overunity zealots.

Last edited:
Why not "Renewable Energy" instead of "Alternative Energy". Would questions on Bio Diesel be valid here?

Mike.

Overunity people will always be attracted to an energy related forum regardless of its name.

I like "Alternative Energy". Maybe we even converted one or two overunity people, and if we continue to handle the topic rationally, might convert more.

[edit] Otherwise, we could name it "Rehash Old Solar And Wind Topics". [/edit]

Last edited:
I like the Solar and wind aspect but still some things that go with each system have a vast following of nuts still attached.

I fear that the rules, regulations, safety, common sense, laws, ordnances, and other BS issues that get re-milled every single time someone mentions a possible way of doing anything different is not going to go away either. To me that stuff detracts from a good thread far more than educated speculation ever will!:mad:

The GTI posts I did got very little argument against the overall working viability or fundamental physics and DIY costs of it. The number one gripe was line connection rules! I think the only reason that thread survived is simply because I had the code books and resources to hold up a reasonable defense in the safety BS fight! I felt like walking away a number of times because the simple how can it be done issues were continually being swamped with irrelevant safety crap that did not actually relate to the construction itself! :mad:
(good thing I like to argue!):D

Anyone with a battery bank system is going to bring in the charging purist Nazis. Anyone with a system over whatever voltage has been argued safe here lately is going to bring in the electrical safety Nazis.
If its wind power someones going to argue blade speed and run away safety issues too!
If its solar someone will argue MPPT or solar tracking or what ever they can with that as well.

The misinformed or misguided newbies are not the problem with the AE department. Its the 'I already know everything and what you want to do is not possible, because I tried and failed at it, therefore its impossible so dont bother trying' people we already have here! :mad:

Changing the name or format is not going to change the overall problem.
We will just have a new name with the same overall problem. (us):(

I like the Solar and wind aspect but still some things that go with each system have a vast following of nuts still attached.

(good thing I like to argue!):D

The misinformed or misguided newbies are not the problem with the AE department. Its the 'I already know everything and what you want to do is not possible, because I tried and failed at it, therefore its impossible so dont bother trying' people we already have here! :mad:

Changing the name or format is not going to change the overall problem.
We will just have a new name with the same overall problem. (us):(

I think some of them come here to try there best attempt and fail at convincing an Experienced Engineer. They have no clue what they fell into when they become shredded and begin to look for bandages to hold together their bleeding and dieing idea's.

Some of them I believe actually learn something and begin to dig into other concepts not familiar with and far over their heads. Rendering respect for those who actually deal with all aspects of Electronics.

kv

Anything to do with producing energy, will attract the pseudo-science groupies. Even before the Alternative Energy forum, there was still people posting about this stuff. There is no way to shut it out. It's just like the 'Please Sir, do my homework', or 'need a completed final year project in two days, thanks'.

The one good thing, is it's got new people taking an interest in building electronic circuits at home. They will at the very least learn about some parts, how to solder, lots of troubleshooting, and maybe how to spot a bad design or idea. So, their dream of converting their SUV to run off water was a huge waste of time and money, they did get a good start on a new hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back