Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Neutral connection, classic dimmer circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccurtis

Hello, fellow members. I have a pole lamp with a classic triac dimmer circuit built into the pole with a combination on/off/brightness knob that I am replacing the power plug on. It is a two-prong 120VAC, polarized power plug and the lamp has a warming label to make sure that it is plugged into the socket all the way (so as to have the correct polarity). Unfortunately, I cut the bad plug off, right straight up against the original plug and left with no physical clue what the polarity of the wiring was since the wire colors are identical and the cord insulation has no strips. Now I want to know how to determine which wire should be neutral and which wire should be hot before installing the new power plug. With the switch OFF or ON, none of the power wires makes continuity with the metal pole. One of the power wires makes continuity with the outside, threaded portion of the lamp socket (ordinary, Edison bulb socket), with the switch OFF and ON. Should that be the one that is wired to neutral, or do I have to look further? The other power wire makes continuity with nothing with the switch OFF or ON. Thanks!

One of the power wires makes continuity with the outside, threaded portion of the lamp socket (ordinary, Edison bulb socket), with the switch OFF and ON. Should that be the one that is wired to neutral

You found it that's the neutral

But if you look at the cord i almost bet you see one side slick and one side has raised rib's
most all cords do hard to tell if you don't really look close but the slick one is hot and the rib one is neutral but i still
ohm it out to socket to see which is which.

Last edited:
By golly, there is a slightly ribbed wire. I did not notice that (the insulation is transparent and you can see the copper inside it). And the ribbed wire is the one connected to threaded portion on the lamp socket-- the neutral. Thank you, sir!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back