Networking Harddrives

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazymonkey

I'm not sure if this is right site to be asking this on, but if you can help me please do. We just upgraded the computer (from windows 95 --> windows xp). The 95 has been moved to my room and the xp is in the lounge room. Is the 95 able to support a network card or is their anyway i can network the harddrive of the 95 (ie. have 2 drives operating on the xp and only 1 on the 95). Thanks.

Yes, Win95 can network drives quite easily (anything since Win3.11 can). XP though is a bigger problem, it seems very difficult to get XP to talk to Win95 or Win98 networks. Personally I've found it easier to stick with the more reliable Win98 (still the most popular Win OS), XP causes too many problems (along with all the NT stuff).

The simplest way to get a WinXP box to work well in a mixed LAN with Win9x units is to install and use the NetBEUI protocol. However... the version of NetBEUI that shipped with WinXP is quite sketchy, making it somewhat unreliable. As a fix, use the Win2K version of NetBEUI instead, and there is plenty of info on obtaining and installing it here:

its all v. simple - i use this method, and it works (even though its microsoft :cry: ) (this may be a summary of the stuff above, but there was rather alot of that)

1) put PCI, ISA, (or whatever, but not USB) network cards in both computers

2) connect both of these to a network hub, or conect them directly using a crossover cable

3) in XP - go to Start, network places, then on pannel on the left click on "set up home or small office connection"

4) follow the instructions, fill in any boxes - be logical and they won't be a problem

5) after doing several steps, the wizard will get to the end, and one of the options will be to create a networking disk (floppy)

6) do this and run the disk on the 95 computer

7) the wizard will appear, asking similar questions

8 ) be warned that you may have to put in your 95 installation disk

I run 98SE, 2K, XP and XP proffesional on the same network (i'm the one thats on the 98 - if it ain't broke don't fix it, but the rest of my familly are sheep, so got XP :roll: )

Once this has been done, simply clicking on the hard disks (in windows explorer) will give an option to 'share' the drive. the drive will then become available through the network neighbourhood (sorry about the spelling, and i think it has changeds its name in later versions). Being windows, you can expect it to stop working occasionally, but if this happens, simply run the network wizard again.

ermmm, also, if its simply access to the data that you want, then the old hard disk can easily be put in the new computer - however, i would say that the network is well worth having.

hope this helps - and whatever the above post says, this will work, there is really nothing wrong with it, especially for a 2-computer network

any questions, just ask

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…