Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NES controller help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halogrunt1234

I have working NES controller and a plug where I can plug th contoller in, complete with the full set of 7 colored wires. Searching online I have learned that I want to power the controller by applying a +5V voltage through pin 1 (white) and grounding pin 7 (brown). I have also learned that the controller sends the data about the buttonpress through pin 4 (yellow) when a clock signal is sent through pin 6 (red). what I don't get is that pin 5 (orange) is labelled "latch" and nothing is ever mentioned on how or why this pin is used. I have set up a solderless breadboard and have applied power correctly, and I have a LED to indicate whether or not a signal is being sent through pin 4. I also have a 555 timer set up to apply a clock pulse to pin 6. I have had no success in actually getting a signal and I still dont understand what the "latch" pin is for.

All I want to do is get a signal from the controller when i press a button. i want the signal displayed as a blinking LED, showing the frequency of the signal.

I will happily accept any help given to me about getting the controller to work without an NES or a computer.

**broken link removed**

Latch Pin is used to latch the state of buttons when it is high and when the pulses are sent on pulse pin it reads that that
I guess the change in button state after the latch is made low may not be detectable (I am not sure because I have never used it, others can correct me if I am wrong)

**broken link removed**

Thank you VERY much for the links. the MIT site was the first one that I came across that decided to actually go in detail in how the controller worked. hmm... now to hook up an IC that will send 12 microsecond pulses...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back