Neon Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

drolex

How much voltage do you need to power a 6 foot neon light tube that has an inner diameter of 3/8 inch? Does the tube have to be glass?

So it's possible to use material other than glass. I just want the approximate voltage range. Say I'm using neon. Do you have any good links that explain how a neon light is built and how it works?

drolex said:
So it's possible to use material other than glass. I just want the approximate voltage range. Say I'm using neon. Do you have any good links that explain how a neon light is built and how it works?
If you're thinking of using plastic, I think outgassing would be a problem. You might want to read the Wikipedia article on neon signs. Your tube may not need to be as clean as described, but I doubt that you could use plastic. I could be wrong.
How about aluminum or copper?

A 12V battery could light power the light, right? How much power does a neon light use? Say it uses 60mA.

drolex said:
A 12V battery could light power the light, right? How much power does a neon light use? Say it uses 60mA.
You are thinking about the little fluorescent tubes to light cars. They use a 12V to thousands of volts stepup circuit called an inverter.

A 6 foot long, 3/8th inch doameter tube would be about 30W.

No, I wasn't thinking about the little fluorescent tube to light cars. I was thinking of my own invention. I think a plain voltage stepup circuit is called a transformer. An inverse rectifier is an inverter. They are usually used together. 30W is too much. Nevermind.

drolex said:
I think a plain voltage stepup circuit is called a transformer.
A neon sign uses a mains-powered transformer with 12,000V or more output.
A car uses an inverter circuit to make AC that is stepped up to a high voltage with a transformer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…