Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Neon Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

drolex

How much voltage do you need to power a 6 foot neon light tube that has an inner diameter of 3/8 inch? Does the tube have to be glass?

So it's possible to use material other than glass. I just want the approximate voltage range. Say I'm using neon. Do you have any good links that explain how a neon light is built and how it works?

drolex said:
So it's possible to use material other than glass. I just want the approximate voltage range. Say I'm using neon. Do you have any good links that explain how a neon light is built and how it works?
If you're thinking of using plastic, I think outgassing would be a problem. You might want to read the Wikipedia article on neon signs. Your tube may not need to be as clean as described, but I doubt that you could use plastic. I could be wrong.
How about aluminum or copper? :D

A 12V battery could light power the light, right? How much power does a neon light use? Say it uses 60mA.

drolex said:
A 12V battery could light power the light, right? How much power does a neon light use? Say it uses 60mA.
You are thinking about the little fluorescent tubes to light cars. They use a 12V to thousands of volts stepup circuit called an inverter.

A 6 foot long, 3/8th inch doameter tube would be about 30W.

No, I wasn't thinking about the little fluorescent tube to light cars. I was thinking of my own invention. I think a plain voltage stepup circuit is called a transformer. An inverse rectifier is an inverter. They are usually used together. 30W is too much. Nevermind.

drolex said:
I think a plain voltage stepup circuit is called a transformer.
A neon sign uses a mains-powered transformer with 12,000V or more output.
A car uses an inverter circuit to make AC that is stepped up to a high voltage with a transformer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back