Neo-mag from HDD generators

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don´t understand a reluctance to reuse copper ! Why might recycled copper not last? When u reuse copper wire from a motor, or whatever, it was originally coated with something ,usually shellac , to insulate it in a coil construction. When u reuse it coat each completed layer with shellac again and it should outlast u unless u overheat it

Last edited:
The original coating can be much better quality than shellac and of a higher temperature-rating.

Whats so bad about reusing copper wire?

When you strip wire from a transformer, motor or what ever. You can break the enemal coating off, or you may just nick it. That can cause the wire / wires to short out. Most times you can get away with it. After casting a stator and fine the coil goes faulty shortly after, You have to ask yourself "WHY"?

S.Simon

Last edited:
The point is u know this might happen so as you use it you coat each layer you wind down

In this age of throw away u are King but think of the energy thats gone into making this wire originally and reuse wherever possible is my approach. Don´t throw away something that isn´t broke.

That said , I have two huge sheds full of stuff that I know only a small percentage of will ever get used . When I die my sons will probably dump the great majority but I still keep it in case I need it . Copper used to be $500 a tonne only 20 years ago. Now its $9000 new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…