Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Neo-mag from HDD generators

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don´t understand a reluctance to reuse copper ! Why might recycled copper not last? When u reuse copper wire from a motor, or whatever, it was originally coated with something ,usually shellac , to insulate it in a coil construction. When u reuse it coat each completed layer with shellac again and it should outlast u unless u overheat it

Last edited:
Whats so bad about reusing copper wire?

When you strip wire from a transformer, motor or what ever. You can break the enemal coating off, or you may just nick it. That can cause the wire / wires to short out. Most times you can get away with it. After casting a stator and fine the coil goes faulty shortly after, You have to ask yourself "WHY"?

S.Simon

Last edited:
The point is u know this might happen so as you use it you coat each layer you wind down

In this age of throw away u are King but think of the energy thats gone into making this wire originally and reuse wherever possible is my approach. Don´t throw away something that isn´t broke.

That said , I have two huge sheds full of stuff that I know only a small percentage of will ever get used . When I die my sons will probably dump the great majority but I still keep it in case I need it . Copper used to be $500 a tonne only 20 years ago. Now its $9000 new

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back