Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Negative voltage one shot - 2 usec

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
I need to implement a one-shot stage to generate a negative voltage pulse (0 to -3V) lasting around 2 usec, triggered by a TTL pin of a micro. Dual PSU (+/- 5V) available.

Been considering an LM311 connected between 0 and -5V. I got just one! of those comparators for the week end and I fear to destroy it in any uncontrolled test. Additionally I cannot see how to trigger it with a positive voltage and even more as a one shot.

Reading the datsheet got me even more confused.

Any ideas about this or any better/simpler?

Attachments

• LM311.pdf
    394.8 KB · Views: 148
I'm presuming you're wanting to generate the pulse externally?, and not just in the micro? - why not chose a suitable monostable, something like the TTL 74121 would do.

To trigger it from a positive supplied micro, use a PNP open-collector transistor, with a pull-down resistor to the -5V rail.

You can AC couple the trigger pulse, clamping the capacitor output to the minus supply with a diode (view the minus supply as a virtual ground point with circuit ground being the positive rail for the LM311).
I can show you a circuit, if you need that.

You can also use a PNP for the pulse level conversion as Nigel suggested.
One interesting non-inverting configuration for that is to use the PNP in the grounded base configuration, with the pulse applied to a series emitter resistor whose value is equal to the collector resistor (which goes to the -5V). That will generate a positive going pulse from -5V to ground for a positive pulse input.

For such a short pulse, I'd go with having a charged inductor with a flywheel clamping to the -3V (resistor/diode combo) being open circuited by your TTL pulse.
If u have a 'scope it's dead easy to evaluate this and size/wind the inductor.

Advantage is that no negative supply is needed.

I'm presuming you're wanting to generate the pulse externally?, and not just in the micro? - why not chose a suitable monostable, something like the TTL 74121 would do.

To trigger it from a positive supplied micro, use a PNP open-collector transistor, with a pull-down resistor to the -5V rail.
I have not 121 handy around Nigel.

You can AC couple the trigger pulse, clamping the capacitor output to the minus supply with a diode (view the minus supply as a virtual ground point with circuit ground being the positive rail for the LM311).
I can show you a circuit, if you need that.

Yes, please do. Gracias Carl.

For such a short pulse, I'd go with having a charged inductor with a flywheel clamping to the -3V (resistor/diode combo) being open circuited by your TTL pulse.
If u have a 'scope it's dead easy to evaluate this and size/wind the inductor.

Advantage is that no negative supply is needed.
Hola mosaic,

Could you show the circuit. Not sure I follow you.

Here is a spice sim, running at 0.5mS clock intervals providing 2uSec negative going pulses.
Neg_pulse_gen.png

Attachments

• Negative Pulse gen.zip
    950 bytes · Views: 126
Below is the simulation of an RC circuit to convert a 3v to 0V pulse to a 0V to -3V pulse, which I believe is what you want.
All you need to generate is a 3V to 0V pulse from your micro.

What is the duty-cycle of the pulse?

Pulse Level Shift.gif

Attachments

• Pulse Level Shift.asc
    609 bytes · Views: 132
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back