Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Negative Voltage Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmbeelby

I have read over the documentation for the TC7660 chip by Microchip Technology, and would like to know if I am reading this right.

Can I chain 4 or 5 of these chips together with a +5V initial input and get either -20V or -25V output ?

I need -17V for a project so I was thinking I could use these to make -20V and then use something like a LM337 to drop that down to -17V. Is this a good idea? Thanks.

How much current at -17V?

I'd recommend a Tex Instr UC2572D IC to generate negative voltages. I've used it for years w/ great results. With the 2572, you can generate any value of output from any input. From 12V input, you can obtain -3V, -5V, -12V, -24V, -9.3V, -17.4V, etc. Are you familiar with SMPS design?

Last edited:
Thanks

I'd recommend a Tex Instr UC2572D IC to generate negative voltages. I've used it for years w/ great results. With the 2572, you can generate any value of output from any input. From 12V input, you can obtain -3V, -5V, -12V, -24V, -9.3V, -17.4V, etc. Are you familiar with SMPS design?

I am working with +5V input right now and would like to stick with just that if possible. I am not familiar with SMPS. I read about it on Wikipedia real quick. For my project I am using a wall plug-in transformer from Radio Shack that has a selectable voltage output (it can go up to +12V at least). I set it to like 6 or 7V and then pass that through a small "power regulation" circuit I have which uses for example the 7805 to give me +5V output (it also uses capacitors to filter, a diode to prevent me hooking it up backwards, and a nice little LED to tell me its on). I believe my wall transformer generate 1000mA current (I am not near it now, and also I think that this may be a "maximum" value right? not like it always makes exactly 1A output)

I will look into the chip you suggest.

The 7660 is made by many semiconductor manufacturers. It has a very low output current or has a high voltage drop when the load current approaches 20mA.

The 7660 is made by many semiconductor manufacturers. It has a very low output current or has a high voltage drop when the load current approaches 20mA.

Well the specs do say that 10mA - 13mA is typical. 20mA is a maximum value in the table of data which gives standard operating conditions.

How about using a DC/DC converter?

HN Electronic components produces a large range of DC/DC converters for different input and output voltages. Input and output are isolated.

The SIM1-0524-SIL4 (1W) has an input voltage of +5V and puts out 24V/42mA. For negative voltage connect +outV to ground and -outV to the negative rail of your circuit.

The SIM2 series has maximum output voltages of 15V, but the dual outputs can be connected in series. They have 2 and 3W in a 7pin SIL package.

Attached is the data sheet for SIM1 series

Boncuk

Attachments

• SIM1-0505-SIL4.pdf
    63 KB · Views: 329
How about using a DC/DC converter?

I see you didn't read the linked PDF in my original post. The first page in large letters describes the chip as a "SUPER CHARGE PUMP DC-TO-DC VOLTAGE CONVERTER".

HN Electronic components produces a large range of DC/DC converters for different input and output voltages. Input and output are isolated.

The SIM1-0524-SIL4 (1W) has an input voltage of +5V and puts out 24V/42mA. For negative voltage connect +outV to ground and -outV to the negative rail of your circuit.

The SIM2 series has maximum output voltages of 15V, but the dual outputs can be connected in series. They have 2 and 3W in a 7pin SIL package.

Attached is the data sheet for SIM1 series

Boncuk

Thanks for the information. I tried looking for a similar part on Digi-Key but could not find anything. Also it looks like that part would just give me a higher positive voltage so I would still need to invert that voltage somehow.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I tried looking for a similar part on Digi-Key but could not find anything. Also it looks like that part would just give me a higher positive voltage so I would still need to invert that voltage somehow.

... with a slight difference. Input and output are isolated.

So using the positive output voltage inverted (+Vout to ground) results in a negative voltage. :)

Further the output current is higher than that of a simple charge pump.

If 1W isn't enough for your requirement there are also 2 and 3W types available.

Boncuk

Last edited:
... with a slight difference. Input and output are isolated.

So using the positive output voltage inverted (+Vout to ground) results in a negative voltage. :)

Further the output current is higher than that of a simple charge pump.

If 1W isn't enough for your requirement there are also 2 and 3W types available.

Boncuk

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I thought you were saying that this chip that you suggest was also a DC/DC charge pump--or maybe it is, but it is isolated where as the 7660 is not. I think 1W will be plenty of power. Do you know where I can find this part on Digi-Key or where I can buy it in general?

Do you know where I can find this part on Digi-Key or where I can buy it in general?

Sorry, I didn't check at Digikey. It's available at Reichelt Elektronik Germany. (reichelt elektronik - OnlineShop für PC-Komponenten, Elektronik - Festplatten, Mainboards, Motherboards, Karten, Kabel) May be you can find it searching for DC/DC-converters.

For +5V input and +24V output at 42mA the order number is SIM1-0524 SIL4.

If 15V are sufficient you might order SIM1-0515 SIL4.

The price is €4.70 (incl. sales tax) Minimum order is €10 at Reichelt.

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back