Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Negative signal for P-Mos

Status
Not open for further replies.

codan

Hi Everybody,

Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction regarding switching a P Channel Mosfet with a 0 to -10v square wave signal.
I want to be able to vary the pulse width as well.

I am not sure which way is best & am having problems?
Eg:

Use a 555 timer as an oscillator & then use an inverting Op Amp circuit for 0 to - 10v.
Or use an Op Amp oscillator & then an inverting circuit, i'm not sure how to vary the pulse width with this way?.

Or can the 555 timer make a good Negative going 0 to -10v square wave by itself, i have found a few circuits on the net that say they have a negative output but most either don't seem to work or they fall in a heap with a load on them but work fine with no load..

The load is inductive, supply is 12v.

Is the PFET on the high side of the load? Post a sketch showing the PFET, the load, and how they connect to the 12V supply.

You can always power the 555 on the same 12V that is running your load. Pin 3 is the 555 output; who says it cannot be wired directly to the gate of a PFET whose source is connected to +12V? The only difference is that the PWM % is defined the other way; i.e. the PFET is ON when the 555 output is LOW and is OFF when the 555 output is HIGH.

Last edited:
Thanks MikeMl,

I found a way to do what i needed, i am just experimenting with things trying to learn more--some i should say.

Why don't you use low side switching using an N-channel Fet?

N-channels have generally a lower RDS(on) than P-channel Fets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back