Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

negative adjustable voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

yafch

hi all,
attached herewith is a circuit diagram of a power supply using lm723. its positive psu. my is can it be modified to provide a negative voltage. if yes how?. or any one can provide a working diagram of adjustable negative psu. i must use lm723,any 3-pin regulators are not allowed to me.

Attachments

• schema.gif
    schema.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 3,258
Build the same circuit, and use the +ve output as ground, and the original ground output as negative. That's all you need to do, as long as it's an individual isolated supply.

nigel sir,can you explain a little more what you said i dont fully uderstand what you said. and actually i need dual power supply not the individual psu. thanks a lot for quick reply

nigel sir,can you explain a little more what you said i dont fully uderstand what you said. and actually i need dual power supply not the individual psu. thanks a lot for quick reply
You can still build another one and use it as a negative supply, as Nigel stated. You can use a single transformer if you get one with two individual secondary windings.

As Ron stated, as long as you have isolated transformer output windings, the regulator doesn't care which output is grounded.

Many years ago I made a dual bench supply in that way (which I still use) with a transformer that has dual isolated output windings. I can then ground the outputs as I choose, either to get a plus and minus supply, or connect them in parallel to get double the output current at a single voltage (the outputs have adjustable current limits to help balance the load when they are paralleled).

Hi,

that's what Nigel and Ron were talking about.

You can adjust any part of the two power supplies to any desired voltage.

E.g. supplying an OpAmp with +12V and -5V you adjust one supply to +12V and the other one to +5V. The junction between ground of the +12V supply and the positive output of the +5V supply will be circuit ground. The positive output will then be +12V and the ground output of the +5V supply will be -5V.

For clarity refer to the sketch.

Boncuk

Attachments

• SYMMETRIC.gif
    SYMMETRIC.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 646
now i understand everything. many thanks to all of you. special thanks to boncuk for the sketch. sketches provide much better chance to understand. agian thanks to every body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back