Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need to make a 3v ac adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

xer0

its for my digital camera, so it has to be at least 1500mA
i have a 24vac adapter that a took from a garage door opener
can i use that?

i dunno how many mA it puts out, theres no labels on it
thanx

In this case not recommend for use any analog (dissipative) regulator, because the dissipation about 35...40W! Use a simple switcher SMPS regulator from Nat*ional Semi*conductor with very low dissipation (LM2576-adj).
On NSC website You can find applications.

yes, think that means you would need to get 1.5 amps from the transformer, wich if you would use a switching regulator, you would need about 300-400A instead, so it would be better. if you were to use a LM317 regulator at full power it might be very possible to destroy it and certainli after a few minutes the termal protection will lower the voltage. i used it to power a 1.5Amp fan/6V from a 36 voltage suply and even with a large heatsink after a few minutes, 10-20, it stopped.
so the simple regualtor is out of the question

LM723 IC can work as SERIES, SHUNT, SWITCHING OR
FLOATING regulator. So you can use that too.

but it has current limiting to 150mA, so it needs an external transistor, so still you loose much heat and its not a switching suply

If you are using the IC in switching mode then ofcourse the circuit along with external transistor is going to be in switching mode too. And finally the output of a any switching regulator is in form of DC pulses which is fileterd and converted to pure DC using an external capacitor. S I don;t think in swithhing mode the external transistor is going to dissipate additional power.

One problem with 723 as SMPS: the low switching frequency requires relative big inductivity 1...1,2mH.The simply switchers uses only 47....330uH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back