Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need to know the name of this connector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

denno

Hi all,

I have just purchased a spare laptop webcam (the exact same as what would go into my laptop), so I can mount it above my external monitor that I use (the laptop is tucked away to the side, so it's very impractical to use the webcam whilst it's over there).

Anyway, I've received the part, and I need to figure out what connector would go into the board, so I can then try and hack together a usb cable.. and hope for the best really..

I've read that this is possible, but first I need to work out how to get a connection to the board..

I've attached some images of what the webcam module looks like. It's rather small so taking decent photos proved to be quite difficult.
This link will show what the actual connector looks like (it's the cable that would be in the laptop), so hopefully that'll help someone in identifying the part I need.

**broken link removed**

I believe the 5th photo is of the connector that I require.

If all else fails I'll just buy one of those wire connectors and hope that the wires aren't too tiny for me to work with when I chop it up.

Hopefully my question makes sense, please let me know if it doesn't.

Thanks,
Denno

Attachments

• IMG_1105.JPG
    IMG_1105.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1104.JPG
    IMG_1104.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 177
Where did you buy this part from? possibly find out from the supplier

I bought it off eBay, and I did ask the guy if he had the connector, he just pointed me to the same cable that I've linked to in my original post. As I said, I may still end up just buying that cable and cutting it up.

Looks like a JST connector to me.

Thanks for the reply also WTP Pepper, I'll check out a JST connector.

JST looks right too. You failed to mention the number of pins AND whether or not the pins are toward the PCB or on the other side of the connector.

JST do a vast range of connectors in many sizes with various amount of pins. They also do specials for specific manufacturers.

Hi,

I did something similar a while ago with a webcam from a scrap laptop, for a reversing camera for a car-puter.

All I did was cut the end off a mini usb cable and soldered directly to the board. Its just as easy as you still need to determine the connections anyway. Its best to work out which is ground as that's usually the easiest then look for the pos feed. Once you have a good idea which they are then there are only 2 data lines to find and they don't do any harm if they are the wrong way around. just swap them until its detected by the PC.

Hope this helps, Al

JST do a vast range of connectors in many sizes with various amount of pins. They also do specials for specific manufacturers.

This is what I'm finding! I'm just going to take the webcam module in to Jaycar when I can get off work early and hope that we can find a match I think..

Hi,

I did something similar a while ago with a webcam from a scrap laptop, for a reversing camera for a car-puter.

All I did was cut the end off a mini usb cable and soldered directly to the board. Its just as easy as you still need to determine the connections anyway. Its best to work out which is ground as that's usually the easiest then look for the pos feed. Once you have a good idea which they are then there are only 2 data lines to find and they don't do any harm if they are the wrong way around. just swap them until its detected by the PC.

Hope this helps, Al

Did you have 4 connectors or 5? Mine has 5, which will make it a little more trickier.. I've read online that it could have something to do with the mic though.. (Even though the mic is a separate module).
How did you manage to find the positive? Obviously ground is pretty easy, but I't not too sure where to start with trying to find the positive?

And I guess the last question, how well did it work? Just as good as when it was in the laptop? I bought one that is a replacement part for the laptop that I have, so I'm hoping that because they're exactly the same webcams, I'll get video just as perfect as with the built in one, as the drivers will all be there already.. That's the theory anyway..

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Denno

Why not just buy a proper USB webcam?, they are cheap enough - and probably higher spec then the internal one?.

I have tried many external usb cameras, None of which can give me the kind of video quality that my internal one does. The viewing angle on my internal one is much larger, and the picture quality of the video is much much finer. I have asked around and the general idea for the internal one being so much better is because it has been selected to work specifically with the hardward in the laptop, whereas external usb ones need to work with as many different hardware combinations as possible, which means quality is affected.

Thanks for the reply though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back