Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need some help with my idea (power outlet design)

Status
Not open for further replies.

staylor97

Hi, i am doing a project that i will be simulating and not necessarily building it unless it is worth it.

Basically what i am creating is a multi-function/multi-use power outlet. For example this will include it having USB connections or a nightlight built into the plate.
Any other ideas i could incorporate into this design?

also any help in circuitry for adding USB functionally would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

white-leviton-electrical-outlets-receptacles-r02-t5632-0bw-64_1000.jpg

USB current is 3.6A.
Homedepot has 3 different kinds.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies.. although it would be better to purchase a ready made one, i have to design and simulate this project for my coursework so i do not actually have to build it physically. just would like some guidance in additional functionalities i could add and with circuitry.

I have a duplex outlet that is designed to plug in an existing duplex outlet. It has two AC outlets, two USB ports with LEDs that flash red while the device is charging. It is also slotted at the top to hold a smartphone while charging. I can easily move it to another room or take to a hotel if needed.

eT

i know these are available to purchase and use but i am trying to create my own with a special twist. I just would like any other ideas of functionalities i could add into it. I don't have to build this design physically just show that i can simulate such a system.

In that case, the limit is your imagination....
-Wifi extender
-motion detector
-wireless microphone monitor
-etc
-etc
-etc

I don't have to build this design physically just show
Sounds like a school project.
I would get a small USB charger and take it apart. Then just say you will add the printed circuit board to you project.
I am looking at these boxes. There is almost enough room to add a USB charger inside.
white-ge-plug-adapters-54947-64_1000.jpg
Wkt44.jpg

I found this. Pritty close to what you want.
Outlet-Splitter.png

Around here, they sell one including a small led that could be oriented, to serve in an alley or corridor, as a beacon in the dark. Some people use them as night lights for kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back