Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need some help on a small project

Status
Not open for further replies.

geerbangr

Hello folks , i'm new here and not educated in electronics so please forgive any of my ignorance .

What I have is 3 wires , 1 red wire = 4.8v dc , 1 black wire = ground , 1 white wire = adjustable value ranging from .12v dc - .30v dc .

In the end what i need is 2 wires + and - with the value of 1.5v dc .

The white wire is a signal wire I can use remotely to signal the output 1.5v on and off .

This is something I need to trigger a glow plug on a radio controlled helicopter .

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Is this a standard RC airplane remote controll setup?

If so the white wire is not DC voltage, but a variable length 4.8 V pulse.
1 ms pulse for low signal, 2 ms for high signal. This pulse repeats itself at some set frequency.

This will apear as a small DC voltage if you test it with a multimeter.

I'm not sure how you would use this to get steady 1.5 V.

Yes phoenox it's standard rc stuff . If the signal wire is pulsed how do you see what the pulse is actually doing ?

I was thinking of regulating the 4.8v coming from the receiver to achieve the desired 1.5v then triggering a switch with the signal wire .

In his other posts he wants to use the 1.5V to power a high current glow plug
from the radio receiver's tiny battery that cannot provide enough current.

I don't know why he has so many threads for this simple circuitb and does not know Ohm's Law.

Why don't NOOBs know anything?

Instead of getting on a public forum that welcomes all and berating someone , why don't you spend your time helping noob's ?

And further more just how "tiny" do you suppose the battery packs are we use ? I'll tell you because it's apparent you're ignorant . 4800 mah pack , that's plenty of battery to supply the system .

I said in the beginning to please excuse my ignorance . If you don't have anything better than smarta$$ comments how about refrain from posting on my topic , thank you .

Instead of getting on a public forum that welcomes all and berating someone , why don't you spend your time helping noob's ?
Because NOOBs do not understand electronics. I am not a teacher of the basics.

And further more just how "tiny" do you suppose the battery packs are we use ? I'll tell you because it's apparent you're ignorant . 4800 mah pack , that's plenty of battery to supply the system.
Receivers in RC airplanes do not use huge 4800mAh batteries. They use tiny little batteries that power a low current receiver for a few flights but discharge too quickly to power a glow plug.

I am not ignorant. You are rude.
My electric powered RC airplane flies for a long time from the power of a 2200mAh battery. No high power glow plug.
My noisy old glow plug engines were started 48 years ago with a huge and heavy number six battery cell.

The problem is without going to college or asking questions people won't learn.

I have no idea what a glow plug takes in the way of current, but it is quite a bit, and is a serious drain on any battery. If you can measure this or point to some specs it would help.

Are you wanting to make the glow plug glow from the internal battery? What happens if the internal battery goes dead, does the helicopter crash?

Basically what AG said, but nicer.

Last edited:
The battery that powers the motor in my electric airplane also powers its receiver and servos. When the battery gets low the circuit cuts off the motor so the battery still has enough power to keep the receiver going and power the servos. Then the airplane glides in a controlled landing.

Maybe the rude guy uses a huge and heavy 4800mAh battery in a carrying case to start the engine in his helicopter.

audioguru you was again my friend are showing your ignorance . I'm not being rude , i'm new around here and new to the parts of electronics that make them tick . That is why i'm here asking questions . I can see very clearly your rc hobby is limited .

7 of my nitro helis rx's are supplied with power from 4800 ni-mh packs , so there you are wrong . So instead of being ignorant and "not a teacher of the basics" keep your wisea$$ comments to yourself. I did'nt come to this forum to get berated by one of the forum cool guys , I came here to learn .

And let me educated you some more maybe it will help you in your modeling hobby . We run HE50H11-1 on our helis along with a gov and a 1900mah li-po rx pack that powers our helis including firing the glow plug for 5-7 10 minute flights . The igniter is set on a timer , maybe a 555 or something similar I don't know.

So I guess the high power glow plug isn't really that high power. It only takes 1.5v to power the glow plug .

Quietman to answer your question , yes . If the flight battery goes dead you just pick up the pieces . I'm not wanting continuous power to the plug just enough to get the engine lit then it will do it's own thing . Maybe I wasn't clear enough . Pardon my ignorance once again.

Last edited:
It only takes 1.5v to power the glow plug.
Voltage is not power. A tiny watch battery is also 1.5V but has almost no power.
A glow plug takes a lot of power because its current (not voltage) is high.

Do you start the engine in your heli remotely? Why? What spins the motor to get it going?

Last edited:
Quietman, the glow plugs only need to be heated directly to START the engine, otherwise they stay hot during run time. I'm not sure you understand what they do.

Audioguru,,, once again your showing your ol' senile attitude to newbies. As this newbie has already said if you can't be constructive and help don't bother posting your newbie bashing. Mate I for one respect the work you have done helping people on this forum but knocking newbies all the time isn't the go. Just remember when Noah was boy, you first got into electronics and did your superiors ever do this attitude towards you.

Mate how about starting the new year on a newbie note, don't bash newbies and if you can't help them don't post in their threads.

Cheers Bryan

The rude NOOB doesn't know that the glow plug uses a high current, not a high voltage.
He doesn't know that it is complicated to reduce 4.8V to 1.5V at a high current efficiently.

I asked what spins the engine to get it going and maybe the answer is nothing but his hand. Then why use the battery in the heli to light the glow plug? He can use the battery in his pocket instead.

Maybe NOOBs should have their own forum.

Typical planker !! Your IGNORANCE shines once again !! If you knew ANYTHING about the hobby you wouldn't be asking me how the heli is started.

Dude I didn't join this site to be bashed , I joined to learn . If you're not willing or able to teach why don't you shut your face . Your ability to make an a$$ out of yourself is evident on this board as I see what the mod said .

Seriously, if you can't help don't post .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back