Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need some feedback on a laser diode APC circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayXu

Hi all:

Accompanying file: **broken link removed**

I just started designing my version of a laser diode driver circuit; and I was hoping you could look over it and give me some feedback. I designed it to be similar to the 2-transistor versions; except using op amps (it should allow for faster modulation; and I find using op amps very simple). The theory is that the current going into the laser diode is a inverse linear function to the photodiode current.

The circuit should be able to control a common-anode laser diode (yes, I made a mistake in the laser diode schematic symbol), with monitor currents of around 0.3 to 0.5mA, and a laser diode operating current of how ever much the precision current sink can sink. The precision voltage bias is to provide a stable operating voltage with respect to the virtual ground (4.5V).

The modulation controller circuit block uses a switch such as using the CD4066 to switch between the signal from the monitor photodiode or ground. The op amp acts as a buffer to compensate for any signal attenuation caused by the switch (because they have relatively large resistances). For a logic HIGH signal, the switch would be switched to the output of the op amp, and it would be switched to ground for a logic LOW.

The inverting amplifier block is to provide the inverse function and to amplify the signal form the photodiode monitor I-V converter so that the ratio between photodiode and laser diode is 1:1 (inverted).

I have yet to include the small specific details (including the resistor and part values); this is just an idea. I also lacked the filtering capacitors in the diagram for simplicity.

The voltage supplies would be equivelant to +/- 4.5V; VCC=+9V, VEE=0V, and a +4.5V as virtual ground.

I'm specifically worried about the modulation controller block; where it switches back and forth between ground and the output of the op amp. Also please provide feedback.

I'm pretty new to lasers; I only know how not to damage them by static and how to drive one using a simple 2-transistor circuit ;)

Many Thanks

Ray Xu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back