Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need slap in the face with power ergulator IC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it might not work.

It might have an internal a voltage doubler circuit to give a dual rail supply or something like that.

A simple square wave inverter can be made to give 48V square wave but you might as well use a transformer if you're going to do that.

WOW! Thanks to everyone that have been replying to my original post.

I have been paying attention to the replys and I'm testing the VDC output of the bridge rect. A post (thanks tcmtech) reminded me that the circuit probably has a bridge rect. and it does. Tcmtech also stated that the output of the rect. was probably going to be about 50VDC, still checking.

Here's my question. Why / How is the VDC out higher than the VAC in to the rectifier. Seems to me from electronics class it has something to do with the peak amplitudes of the waves. Anyone still reading this post and does anyone want to reply?

THANK YOU EVERYONE.

Yes it is to do with peaks and waves.

AC voltages are normally specified as RMS (Root Mean Square) values. To get the peak value simply multiply it by √2.

Yes it is to do with peaks and waves.

AC voltages are normally specified as RMS (Root Mean Square) values. To get the peak value simply multiply it by √2.

Alrighty then.... I did the math, got the value that everyone else gets 50.91, here's the rub, when I measured the actual output, I get 38VDC.

Now, to get everyone on the same page, I have a few of these circuit boards connected to the 36VAC transformer, so the rectifiers are / should be getting the same Vin to each. I measures the rect. output while the piezo circuits were running and I measured 38VDC. All piezos were operating fine. SO..... now it looks like I have a new question. Do I supply 50VDC to the circuit after the bridge rectifier or 38VDC. If it matters I plan on using 4 circuit in the final project.

You would apply 38VDC to the circuit after the bridge.

Try MPJA.com more power supplies than you can shake a stick at.

You finally understand what I was saying now? It's specced at AC because its a cheap Asian manufactured device with internal bridge rect and control circuit, so manufacturers only need to supply a mains transformer.

The alternative I suggested to a hot bulky mains transformer was a nice pre-built SMPS. :(

You should find an off-the-shelf SMPS for under $60.

Last edited:
It's guesswork till the poster explains what's actually behind the hardware they're using, if they don't know we can only guess. That's why simple posts like this go on for 3 pages or more.

And then there are the threads that end up being 10 pages long of suggestions with no solutions, more guesses and the OP long gone. ;)

Last edited:
It's guesswork till the poster explains what's actually behind the hardware they're using, if they don't know we can only guess. That's why simple posts like this go on for 3 pages or more.

Sorry, I was trying to as informative as possible. I don't want to take time or space away from anyother posts. I did refer to a site that shows the circuit board and the contained hardware. On my end I just have a humidity sensor and a simple SPDT. There is a fail safe water level switch incase the water gets too low (shown on the refered site) and a fan to blow the mist but thats pretty much it. Not trying to make a big deal, just want to make some fog for my kids.

Thanks all.

dont worry about taking up space with long and full descriptions and explanations.
Its does not take up enough bits in the electro tech system to make any difference and greatly helps us all out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back