Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Simple Keypad Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champignon

I have looked some electronic projects on keypads but most of em are complex with codes for starting cars or opening gates but what i actually need is a simple one for me to start on eletronic :roll:

If you guys have any idea where i could find a simple one i'd like it

PS:Sorry for any missspellings, im from Brazil :lol:

here it is
**broken link removed**
i have buit this and it works fine
the power consumption is low, about 1-2uA on standby.

1. I have questions regarding this circut. I am building a keypad to open a gate but I was wondering if I could make it a four key code instead of seven.

2. How do you change the order of the pins so I could make a different code?

3. Also wondering how the chip works, can you punch in any number that is hooked to the chip code and not reset it or does it work that way. If you dont hit 2,3,4,6,8,9 of resets will it still reset if you dont punch the code in, in order as shown on the website. (1704570)

One more thing, bogdanfirst, thank you very much for the website you have given us, its a big help!

-sorry for all the questions- haha

One more thing, I found what looks like a quick and easy circuit that might be useful as well and only needs about 3 key codes.

(Downloadable word document)
**broken link removed**

Anyone that comments on this one? and also the questions I asked above? :?

I hear a lot about matrix and pic but I dont have a way of hooking up to a chip and I am looking for a more easier way just through compents that are not computer related. Im not sure how to use a pc with this, I never even really heard of it.

Thanks! :)

oxygen454 said:
I hear a lot about matrix and pic but I dont have a way of hooking up to a chip and I am looking for a more easier way just through compents that are not computer related. Im not sure how to use a pc with this, I never even really heard of it.

A lot depends on what you consider 'easier', the advantage of using PIC's (or other micro-controllers) is that they make the circuit much simpler. By writing code in the PIC you can essentially create your own custom IC that does exactly what you want.

The code lock example in my tutorial uses the following components:

1xPIC16F628
1xHex Keypad
1xLCD text module
5xresistors
1xpreset resistor (contrast control)
3xcapacitors
1x7805 regulator

To drive a relay you would also need to add:

1xrelay
1xtransistor
1xdiode
1xresistor

As well as making for a very simple circuit it also adds loads more functionality, things you couldn't really do with discrete components (unless you are really spending loads of time and money).

Key Pad Lock

I designed a very simple KPL some time ago. I can send you a copy by email if you wish. Len

Key Pad Lock

I designed a very simple KPL some time ago. I can send you a copy by email if you wish. Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back