Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj4now

I would like to build a circuit to pulse a voltage (.3 volt) and be able to vary the timing of the pulse from 1 minute to 4 minutes. Right now I have a steady voltage of .3 of a volt and would like to take it to 0 volts every minute and be able to vary it up to 4 minutes. Can I do this with a 555 timer and potentiometer and other associated components? What would the schematic look like? Thanks for any help. Arden

.3 volts is very low to start with. what are you using it for? Or what aplication is it in?

What is this .3 volts coming from? That's a very odd voltage.

tcmtech: Jinx you owe me a beer =O

The voltage is the difference between my downrigger fishing line and the boat. Just wondering if I can pulse it to zero and be able to vary the time. Arden

I dont fish so that basically went right over me! Please elaborate more.

tcmtech: Jinx you owe me a beer =O

Stop by any time, I will be happy to have one with you! ;)

Grounding a fishing line? I'm still failing to see what you're trying to accomplish. Without a ground reference (two lines) you can't do much of anything. Pretend we have no clue what you're talking about or are trying to do and explain everything about what you're trying to do and why from the begging.

Last edited:
Downriggers play a big roll in creating and controlling the electrical output of any sport fishing boat. When a properly insulated downrigger cable is lowered into the water, natural electrolysis between the cable and the boat's zinc or zincs occur - but it's still a guessing game without the proper monitoring device or a way to properly correct any slight positive or negative charges. Think of your downrigger cable and the zinc as a battery. When lowered into the water, you've created alow-power giant battery. Typically the reaction between the downrigger cable and the zinc generates .70 to .80 volts of electricity when in saltwater. Next time you lower your downrigger cables see for yourself by measuring the voltage with a voltage meter.
This is also true in fresh water but the voltage is lower. Hope that explains it a little better. The voltage is always there I would just like to pulse it and see if the fish react a different. Here is the complete article enjoy......... Scotty Black Box and American Black Box Technology

Arden

So you want to ground (short out) the voltage between you fishing line and the metal boat hull? At each interval (1 to 4 minutes) how long do you want it shorted? An LM555C astable oscillator driving a logic level MOSFET maybe.

But why?

Ken

Last edited:
ken,
Yes I would like to ground the voltage to the boat hull but just momentary, like a pulse to zero and then back to voltage. The reason I would like to try this is: fish are attracted to voltage/current in the water and I would like to see if pulsing that voltage/current would make any difference. More fish in the boat......... Thanks. Arden

Arden,

Sounds interesting. What's your electronics skill level? How much are you willing to spend...i.e. buy a timer kit? For most of the people here this is probably a cheap, simple thing to build out of their junk parts boxes...but for you?

Ken

There's only 1 line, you need two to complete and electrical circuit, I still don't understand what the point of this entire idea is, not to mention the fact that normal fishing lines are all but completely non conductive in the first place.

How about you explain how you're going to drive the outrigger line low when fishing line is non-conductive... The voltage they generate are intrinsic to the materials they're made out of. Fishing line itself its not part of the equation. Without a wire connected to the lure there is no way to effect it's voltage levels. IF you're using conductive fishign line how are we supposed to guess at this stuff? Every one of your posts is simply taunting us with information we didn't have at the start, or are you expecting us to be psychic?

Last edited:
perhaps he's a fishingophile! :eek:
Reality has no real purpose or reason with those types of person.
They are just like audiophiles. Reality is of no real consequence. Its just a subject to be ignored and not talked about! :eek: :)

Just a guess! :p

I believe he has a steel wire downrigger which lowers a weight into the water to get some depth, some of these even have wings attached to fly off to one side. The nylon fishing line is then clipped to the wieght with, say, a rubber band so when a fish strikes it breaks and then you fight the fish (and retrieve the downrigger)

The metal wire is probably stainless steel and has a voltage versus the boats zinc when in saltwater - battery.

The idea is this voltage attracts the fish to wire and it then sees and eats the lure. The black box is a bit like a bottle jollop that cures headaches, broken legs, rashes, amnesia etc. i.e it is a nice money earner that does not work very well.:rolleyes:

Best thing is to tape a watch battery to the lure, it wont catch any more fish but it will convince you that you are wasting your time.:D

Thanks guys for all your NON help and ridicule of someone that asked for a simple circuit design. When experimenting with new designs I guess you are subject to this. I will look elsewhere..........

If you really want to catch fish , Go to them!
I started scuba diving last summer and the ever so a hard to catch fish that every self proclaimed super fisherman wants, just swim right up to you! Scared the crap out of me several times to turn around under water and find a big fish right beside me!
Fish are naturally afraid of whats above the water. Once you get into their world you are nothing more than another fish to them!
Pull a few handfuls of grass and weed seeds off and put them in a cloth bag and bring them with when you dive. Those silly fish will start to come right up to to you when you take a handful out and spread it around!

aj4now, no one is ridiculing you, but you're not explaining what you're trying to do properly. I'll ask it one more time, how do you intend to ground something on the end of a fishing line when a fishing line is non-conductive and only one line in the first place? I mean what's the goal here, are you trying to make the fish 'blink' ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back