Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need of resistor to MCLR? HURRY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodin

In all scematics i have seen, there is a resistor between 5V and MCLR. Why is that nessecary, can i connect 5V directly to MCLR?

I am in a hurry because i am making the PCB layout and it would be perfect if i could skip the resitor...

Yes, you can skip the resistor, it's only there for safety or ICSP. If something goes wrong the resistor will limit current to mclr so the chip doesn't blow. For normal operation it will work without.

A common reason for the resistor is so you can add a reset switch, the resistor works as a pullup, and the switch goes down to ground.

But, unlike many micro's, the PIC is designed so you can simply take the pin directly to 5V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back