Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with transistor for driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodpickles

I need help decideing what transistor I should use to drive a relay. I have a photo cell the resistance on the OFF of state is 1K and on the ON state is 490ohms. My relay is 12 volts...on testing it kicks in at 6 volts and out at 2.

I have tried an LM3904 but at 12V that let about 2.3 volts leak threw.

Should i try a fet transistor.

I also have a moterola 8844 would that one work.

try an 2n2222a transistor.

Attachments

• actrelay.gif
    actrelay.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 855
The circuit suggested by Screech is crude as it does not have a threshold nor any hystersis. So you need a Schmitt Trigger between the photo resistor and the transistor.

If you use a LM311, you would not need a transistor since it has adequate internal drive capability.

You also said "I have tried a LM3904 but at 12V that let about 2.3 volts leak through"

It is impossible to comment on this without a circuit to look at. If you post one, I'll be happy to help.

Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back