Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with christmas tree lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkhar2

Hey guys,

sorry for this dumb question, but i have a ready to use christmas tree with four separate plugs (circuits). One of them is giving me trouble.

So, some of the lights on this circuit go, others don't. in the circuit, there are some of these bulbs, which divide the incoming line in 2 separate outgoing ones.

I have a photo of the socket in question attached.

Can anybode tell me, how this socket is working? a scematic somebody? i am lost.

There are 3 segments attached. The lights on the incoming do work, the lights on the two outgoing don't.

I changed the bulb already, but the 2 segments stay cold.

IMG_0588.jpg

thanks guys

gkhar2

By "four separate plugs " are you talking about mains plugs. If so you have 4 sets of lights. The first step is to plug in just one of the working sets and count how many lights there are in that set. (I assume all 4 sets are the same number of lights.) The next step is to count how many of the lamp holders in that string are the type shown in your picture. Now switch that set off and remove one bulb. Switch that set back on and count how many bulbs in that string have gone out. (Including the one you removed.) Post this information in you reply. Also are the lights driven directly at mains voltage or are there transformers/DC power supplies and if so what is their output voltage. Are the lights always on or do they flash in some sequence. With this information we have more chance of working out how they are wired.

Les.

hey guys, got it sorted out.

As i thought, it is more or less a division into two strings, forming a loop. the tricky part of it is the high cable in the picture. but for some reason, it is just connected to the two on the other side of the bulb. so what you get, is a loop. Thats it.

Unfortunately had to change one after the other in the loop. Forunately it was the third one. No sign of dicoloured bulb, nothing.

Maybe this helps anybody, who stumbles over this issue.

thanks for your help and regards

gkhar2

For mains voltage lights in a single loop configuration I use a non contact voltage detector. If you start at the live end just work along the loop until you find the bulb that shows a voltage indication on one side but no voltage indication on the other. If there is more than one bulb faulty this method does not work all that well.

Les.

SOmetimes the contacts separate or oxidize ,so I twist gently to find the middle tension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back