Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with building a wind turbine

Status
Not open for further replies.
chemelec said:
Yes I Know Its Magnet Wire, But What Gauge?
(Outside Diameter of wire)

Shipping to Sweden isn't Cheap, But if its a Smaller Size wire, than it wouldn't Weigh to much and I could send you it.

He needs 120 meters of 28 ga.

iONic said:
Franknstein,

Would a large motor work just as well as an altinator, aside from the obvious
belt issue?

An alternator has field windings instead of fixed magnets like small motors do, and so, can put out much more power for a given size, and can also be regulated.
sam

Last edited:
sam2 said:
He needs 120 meters of 28 ga.

120 Meters is about 400 feet.
There is 2067 Feet in a pound of 28AWG, so that weighs about 1/5 of a pound. That about 90 Grams but without any bobbin to Wrap it on or the weight of the wrapping.

I was hoping to stay Under 100 Grams, for a total shipping cost of $4.00 in a padded envelope.

But yes I guess I can send him it anyway in a parcel, if he wants to email me his name and address.
I can wind it off onto an old solder spool from my 8 pound wire rolls.

My Email addess is below this message.

Take care....Gary

anyone one of you have an idea to make my savonius wind turbine a little bit different from the one in the guide??? because i think that many people in 6 grade have searched for science fair projects and found the guide so i want to make mine a little bit different otherwise they would just say that i got everything from the site.

sam2 said:
You can find magnet wire cheap. **broken link removed**
That is the first place I looked and it was only $6.00 for more than you need.
sam
I have to commend your school system for a 6th grader who can write english so well.

It's not my school system that made me speak english well, it was my computer gaming at the age of 8 :p when i played Diablo 2 i learned alot of english :D

everyone elses english in my class is terrible, a 4 grader could have been better in english than they are

Salaki said:
sry for dp

As I Emailed you, Your Wire will go out in the Mail Today.
It will probably take about 6 to 8 Business days to arrive to you.
(Slow Air-planes these days.)

Have fun and good luck on your project.
And Let us, (or at least Me) Know How it Works out

Take care....Gary

thanks i got the wire now and I will email you about how the project is going thanks for all help everybody :) I'm pretty sure that i will atleast be one of the best ones in my class =)

Salaki said:
thanks i got the wire now and I will email you about how the project is going thanks for all help everybody :) I'm pretty sure that i will atleast be one of the best ones in my class =)

Salaki, Glad it Arrived OK.
There should be More than Enough on that roll.

Hopefully you make GOOD USE Of It.

Take care.....Gary

agh science fair is in about 1 week and i havent started to build it.... i dont have all materials i need.... Could anyone help me with a good hypothesis??? :p

The physical construction can be VERY simple for a small scale turbine. All you need is any kind of turbine that you can make spin at a decent speed with say a desktop fan pointing at it. The turbine needs to drive the axle of a very small DC motor via a gear or pulley system. Pulley systems are easiest to create and can be made simply with two different sized wheels using heavy duty rubber bands. The more you gear it the better as motors like to be spun fast before they start generating any appreciable power. You can run the power through a very small light bulb. The hypothesis can be as simple as the light gets brighter as the speed of the turbine increases. Finding the right lightbulb would be the biggest problem.

I've built my wind turbine now but not using a dc motor. Instead i have used 4 magnets that is spinning over 4 coils of wire and the ends of the wires is connected to a lightbulb that's 6,5 watt but it won't light up, do i need a smaller lightbulb?

Depends on How you hooked up the 4 Coils.

Also How many turns of wire.
Distance Between wire and Magnets?

Can you Post a Picture or Two?

k got it but i send you the picture when i come home i have to go and buy some black paper and maybe a 1v lightbulb or LED

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

I'm using a 2,5V lightbulb that was the lowest V I could find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back