Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help with a simple 220V AC to 12V DC design

Status
Not open for further replies.
there was a regular fan connected there that always work properly in that controller...as long as it was in the PC. Its not compatible with that Wall wart, ijust would like to know why. The fan alone worked with that wall wart. Dont know how long it would have, but it did for 1 or 2 minutes.

guys i have some concerning confessions to make XD..i didnt want to sit around and wait for all the china-components, so meanwhile i built the fancontrol out of my PC, i didnt really need it anyway. I hooked the power input of the Fancontroller to the 12V 1,5A wallwart...i also connected one fan..i was just realizing that the fan does not blow as it made "PUFF" and some smoke appeared. SO maybe i should have asked first, but i was under the impression i did everything right. The fans are 12V, so i thought 12V it is. Interesting is, in the PC the fancontrol was connected via Molex/sata connector. Im not sure but i think thats only 5V. As far as i know, only the GPU is connected on the 12V Rail. But how does that work if theres "12V" on the fan? Or was it too much current? I was thinking that the 1,5A on the wallwart is only the max rating and that the connected device creates the current....hmpff :(

id really like to know what happened there. cant see any obvious damage, but i was very obvious the fabcontrol wasnt happy.

The controller should have worked with your 12v Fans.

To use with your 12v fans, the (2-wire) input connector requires 12vdc and each 12v FAN connects to one of the FAN connectors. Each knob varies the fan speed. I don't know how you attempted to wire it, but if wired correctly, it shouldn't have spewed out magic smoke....

a pdf is attached.

Attachments

• Scythe_Kaze_Q_3_5_Fan_Controller_Black.pdf
    198.5 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
i wired it correctly...and both PSU and FAN are fine. I put the fan on the PSU without controller and measured the current, fan is pulling 0,160A, pretty much what it needs. I tried the controller with a 3,7v very small PSu and it worked...fans are turning very slow though, even on full power. I have no idea why that controller doesnt like that 12v PSU. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back