Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with 555 PWM with current limiter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I mean R4, R6 hardly carries any current and can be 1/4W

Super,

I have a lot to learn about mosfets & igbts. Also, I am a bit rusty on my electronics theory. But, if you trying to control a highly inductive load such as a transformer primary, it is not a simple matter. I strongly suspect your problem is not the failure of your output devices due to excessive current, but drain-source breakdown from excessive voltage which occurs when your hexfets (that's what they are) turn off. You might try a voltage clamp across your load. I would send you a schematic of what I am talking about if I could.

Super,

Going a bit futher, note the internal drain-source zeners shown on the data sheet of the hexfets you are using.

Super,

You might do a bit of reading on crowbar circuits to get an idea of how to design your protective circuit. Best wishes.

Hi Ian,

It is 6 am here in Georgia in the US...barely awake and just killing some time, reading some of this stuff. Didn't realize that until after responding, but that's ok. Thanks & best wishes to you good folks in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back