Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help, with 2 circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I am an electronics noob, so I am studying up on the 555. I am still very vague on it, and am trying to learn. Bad.

With that circuit, would it be possible to change out the capacitor to a larger uF to have a longer beep time?

I see these circuits in things like my simple timer, but I can't replicate it or trace it. haha

Maybe this will work.

Edit: With an inductor there would be a back emf but not with a capacitor. buz2 will never sound.

Attachments

• piezo on-off sounder.gif
    piezo on-off sounder.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Hmm, I was thinking, and I could try to apply a simplified concept of a UPS to my beep when power turns off, because it automatically switches circuits.

I really want to try to learn how to use this 555, so I'm off to do research. Help would be appreciated :)

Wow I feel like a post hog, but I came up with a new idea.

What if I were to use a 555 timer as a one shot timer for the turnon, then have a power fail circuit reset the timer when the power goes out? Or can I just reset the timer by turning it off?

Wow I feel like a post hog, but I came up with a new idea.

What if I were to use a 555 timer as a one shot timer for the turnon, then have a power fail circuit reset the timer when the power goes out? Or can I just reset the timer by turning it off?

The simple transistor circuit 'flat5' posted will do what you want.:)

Last edited:
"The simple transistor circuit 'flat5' posted will do what you want."

Yeah! I did something right! (If the cap's leakage is greater than a megohm, if not remove the base to ground resistor)

"Well, from my electronics experience, wouldn't that buzzer be on 24/7?"

When power is applied the + side of C1 is always more positive than...the other side of C1.
I don't see why the buz1 would be on all the time.
Do you see a path around C1? (buz2_D1) I don't.

I'm not sure buz2 will ever be on. I just hoped so :)

Woo!

It worked. I built up the circuit with some components of mine that I had lying around, and it actually worked. Both buzzers sound, but some modification is needed.

I needed to connect the - end of buz2 to the area of the diode before it actually "diodes" to cause the effect to happen again. That causes buz2 to beep. Considering I was running the tests with 3 volts, it may change later on. I need to head to the store to get the components that I need, a switch with 2 rails. haha

There is one problem I see though, and that is the possibility of the capacitor blowing up after voltage has been applied to it too long.

I would think that if it didn't drain out fast enough that it would eventually be overloaded, thus blowing up.

Hehe I sort of figured. From what I've read, its if you overvolt a capacitor is when it explodes. So lets say a 3.7 capacator being charged with 50 VDC is going to explode... right?

The charge a capacitor can hold is not the same as the maximum voltage you are aloud to apply to it.
For instance, you could buy a 100uf 16vdc cap or a 100uf 50vdc cap.

I misread your original post. I thought you also wanted a signal if the supply turned off. Since you only want a notice when the supply turns on you only need one buzzer and not the diode or Buz2.

Hmm. So I also found out that with your original circuit Flat5, I had to put a resistor between the capacitor to cause the buzzer to sound again after being turned off. I am not sure what kind of resistor to use, because I used a variable Pot to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back