Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help school project

Status
Not open for further replies.

mes9393

trying to design simple circuit with household items..aka cordlessphone,wl doorbell unit...... need to make a keychain locator anyone help

Attach keys to cordlessphone.
Lose keys/phone.
Press "page" on the base unit.
Find beeping phone and keys.
Try and put them in your pocket. :D

Nobody is going to give you a project, but i can give you some wise advice;
Never, under any circumstances, lick the heating element of a toaster, especially after use...

My avatar is a pictoral demonstration of using a household appliance to test main circuits.

Hey, AllVol I've done that =O Well I at least only used a paper clip so it wasn't serious =) You can say that's what 'sparked' my interest in electronics <smirk> Yeah I know you can thank me for that gem of a joke later, I take checks.

Considering it only takes a few ma's of current to stop the human heart safe is always a relative term.

i_build_stuff said:
Does anybody else find it annoying that the noobsters always use the ' :( ' icon on these threads?
Not as annoying as :D. At least the guys with :( know they're screwed. The :D guys think the whole thing is a joke.

lol... "the circle of life". :D

NJ Roadmap said:
Few mA?? I should've died a hundred times by now!! Good thing I have 101 lives, but I guess I'll have to be careful from now on...1 more and I'm out.

It's not the current, it's where the current goes!.

To be honest you have to work pretty hard to get killed by 240V, or be REALLY unlucky - yet people manage it on 110V across the pond!.

Some moron at our local cheese factory decided to service some machine without turning it off. He was introduced to a nice 480vac...

Luckily he survived (not sure how?), and he is back at work...

Nigel Goodwin said:
It's not the current, it's where the current goes!.

The way I have always understood it is if the path is from one hand to the other, across your heart, you have the greatest chance of stopping your heart. Makes sense I guess. Thats why its always said you should keep one had in your pocket when working with high voltage.

I always am carful to avoid touching anything with a positive ground when working with mains. Like boxes, panels, waterpipes ect.

I've been shocked by 120vac a few times and am still here. When I was a kid I remember pulling a wallwart out of a powerstrip. I grabbed it in a fasion that caused my index and middle finger to each touch a blade as I pulled it out. Scared the hell outta me, but didn't leave a mark.

I don't know if it would be hard to get killed with 120 or 240v, but you would have to be trying or really dumb. With dry shoes, a dry floor and proper knowledge, you can touch live mains and not get hurt. *****BUT DON"T TRY IT!!!!!!******

BTW, as far as killing people, high voltage is anything over 40 volts or so, that's the general rule of thumb I've heard from most of the sites and or links I've ever been to.

One of the reasons why electricity can be so lethal is the first thing that happens when you get any kind of reasonable current going through your body is the muscles lock dead tight.. If you happen to be holding the voltage source a pack of wild horses couldn't get you to let it go.

Really? 40 volts is considered "high voltage"? That is interesting...

Well 9 volts under the wrong circumstances can be lethal, but casual skin penetration or good surface conduction can make 40 volts lethal. It's just a good number to use to know when you should be putting one of your hands in your pocket =>

Really? 40 volts is considered "high voltage"? That is interesting...
Basically yes.... When you are talking about DC that is. DC is way more dangerous than AC because it causes the muscles to lock where as AC reverses polarity allowing you to let go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back