Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help repairing LG CM2460

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkjorl

The stereo turns on briefly sometimes but will turn off and won't turn on again. Most of the time it wont turn on at all.
I've been testing different components based on some googling but haven't come up with anything yet.

I have noticed what I think is a ceramic capacitor missing as show in my photos. And from my very limited knowledge it looks like its leaving a
section of the board disconnected from the circuit. Could this be part of the problem?

At this point I'm not sure where I go from here, all I have for tools is a DMM.

Thank you !
20180809_183721.jpg
20180809_183730.jpg
20180809_183739.jpg
20180809_183811.jpg

I have noticed what I think is a ceramic capacitor missing as show in my photos. And from my very limited knowledge it looks like its leaving a
section of the board disconnected from the circuit. Could this be part of the problem?
No, most unlikely.
That is a "Y" capacitor which forms part of the noise filtering circuit on the mains input.

Fault diagnosis from pictures on the internet is always difficult, going on impossible.
But the intermittent nature of the fault suggests to me that you may have a bad solder joint somewhere.
The usual suspects for this are large components, like the big capacitors, the transformers/coils, and things that get hot like those transistors mounted on heat sinks.
Examine the joints carefully, try and wiggle the component, does the wire move in the solder fillet?

Or you could just try re-flowing the solder joints.
Just touch them with a soldering iron to melt the solder for a second and than take the iron away.

It is also worth looking at the solder joints on the off board connector pins, they can sometimes become broken.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back