Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help on simple troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crap

I am currently troubleshooting an equipment, it is down at the moment. However, when I measure the resistance or test the conductivity on two points using a multimeter, the equipment will start to turn on.

What do you think is the problem? Connection problem? Sorry I am not good in electronics. Thanks to anybody who can give some opinion.

It could be absolutely ANYTHING! - your description is completely vague, you don't even mention what it is, or what's wrong with it!.

However, from what little you DID say, it sounds like you are using the meter on ohms while the unit is still powered?, you should NEVER, EVER do that!.

Sorry I have no idea I am not supposed to do that. Anyway it is a cryogenic stage with a heater controller. Like I said previously, whenever I used the multimeter, the relay will start to energize and I can hear the switching sound. Then the thermometer gauge will start to function. The two points which I tested with the multimeter are connected with the gauge.

I have little experience in troubleshooting so please bear with me. This is my first time seeing this equipment too.

need help with simple troubleshooting

The main way that you can get a 'hard' connection through the leads of a multimeter is if the leads are plugged into the current jacks on the meter.

Temperature variation will cause loose connections. If there are any screw connections, loosen and re-tighten them, good and tight. Inspect solder joints for cold solder or cracks. If there is a PC board, measure resistance from point to point, looking for an intermittant open in a conductor. If that does not solve the problem and there are rivited connections, drill out the rivits and re-rivit. If the equipment is old, it could be just corrosion at a rivited joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back