Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need help making this led cube

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokira247

LED Cube 4x4x4

in this led cube they uses an atmega16 avr but here in my market i didn't find it but i found atmega16L which is the older version

the point is atmega16 has max speed 16mhz while the atmegaL version has speed 8mhz only

so the question is can i use this L version in making this cube ? and if i could what crystal to use and what modification will be made to the software?

The 16L is not an 'old' version it's a low voltage part. It doesn't state it on a PDF but if you use normal voltages you should be able to run the 16L at 16mhz. If you can't get it started up with the 16mhz crystal you'll just be stuck with 8mhz. Which should be more than fine for an LED cube blinker anyways. No modification to software would be needed. It's the same chip.

i think a modification to the software is necessary as the delay in the hex file provided by this schematic is adjusted for the 16mhz model and so using another slow model will need a change in delay time so as to maintain the led cube animation speed is that right ?

Did you try running it at 16mhz? What's in the PDF is only a formality, the 16L may very will be just fine at 16mhz. I've heard of many AVR users running L version parts at the same frequency as non-L parts, as long as you supply the appropriate voltage. Just don't expect it to run at 16mhz on 3 volts.

i think a modification to the software is necessary as the delay in the hex file provided by this schematic is adjusted for the 16mhz model and so using another slow model will need a change in delay time so as to maintain the led cube animation speed is that right ?

Likely, but it's only software. :D

Did you try running it at 16mhz? What's in the PDF is only a formality, the 16L may very will be just fine at 16mhz. I've heard of many AVR users running L version parts at the same frequency as non-L parts, as long as you supply the appropriate voltage. Just don't expect it to run at 16mhz on 3 volts.

so what is the appropriate voltage for this L version in the 4x4x4 led cube circuit i provided in the first post has a 5v voltage so can this be the appropriate voltage for the L version?

It should work fine, this is technically out of it's specs but I've head of AVR users doing this before, just pretend is a normal Mega16. I don't know if there's any true difference to the silicon, but from what I've been told Atmel basically sorts the chips after manufacturing and the ones that can run at a lower voltage get the L stamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back