Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help identifying this capacitor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy13

I'm trying to repair a high voltage 12V xenon strobe circuit, and I think one of these capacitors are bad (there's a total of 4 on the board) as one end of the capacitor was smoking when I applied power, and the underside of the board looks a little burnt on that end of the capacitor. I can't figure out the capacitor value since the marking is "106K" with "250D" below it - all of the websites online list 6 as an invalid third digit.

The size is approximately 1.156" L x 0.588" W x 0.935" H (29.36mm L x 14.93mm W x 23.74mm H).

Here's a picture of it - click on the picture to make it bigger!

**broken link removed**

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!! :D

actually, it's not 10^-6, it's 10x10^6pf (10 000 000 pf)

with 3 digit cap markings the "base value" is in picofarads, and the 3rd digit is the multiplier.

a 10uf/250V mylar cap isn't that hard to find. they also get used in speaker crossovers.

actually, it's not 10^-6, it's 10x10^6pf (10 000 000 pf)

hi Jed,
Is that reply for me?

106 means 10 followed by 6 zero's, the 'basic' unit being microFarads.

As the 'basic' unit is microFarads, means 10* 10^-6, is 10uF [ which we both agree]

Eric

Then by your reasoning 107 would be 10*10^-7 = 1uf which it is not. Hope we can all agree that a cap marked 103 is 10nF and not 0.01F

Then by your reasoning 107 would be 10*10^-7 = 1uf which it is not. Hope we can all agree that a cap marked 103 is 10nF and not 0.01F

No, I would not say a 107 is a 10*10^-7,,,, I am saying it will be 10 followed by 7 zero's 100,000,000 ie: 100uF.

A cap marked 103 is 10 followed by 3 zero's 10,000 ie: 0.01uF or 10nF

I have never suggested raising the 10 to the nth power.?? I am saying I am thinking in microFarads ie 10^-6

We both finish up with same answer.

Then I still don't understand what you mean by "basic unit is mircofards".
With resistance, basic unit is ohms, so 101 is 100 ohms. With capacitors the basic unit is picofarads, so 101 is 100pF.

Then I still don't understand what you mean by "basic unit is mircofards".
With resistance, basic unit is ohms, so 101 is 100 ohms. With capacitors the basic unit is picofarads, so 101 is 100pF.

ok, np

a 107 cap would not be marked in that way , it would be 1006, ie 100 + 6 zero's [ or the way I think ;), 100uF

a 10 6 cap is 10+6 zero's ie 10uF

a 10 3 is 10+3 zeros is 10nF

a 10 1 is 10+1 zeros is 100pF

Usually the number of zero's is in 1's, 3's or 6's ,,,pF, nF or uF basic units

Its the way I read them and its never let me down, yet.

If you have a different way, please say, I would be interested to see it.

E.

I agree it can be a little confusing with markings, I think boils down to experience, so when you see a coded capacitor value and know what application the caps used in, instinctively you know how the value should be read.

Its the same as resistors with a different number of colour bands, with experience you can quickly work out its value.

I expect by now the OP's eyes are glazing over, so as he has been given the correct value, I am leaving it at that.;)

E.

Thank you to everyone for your help! Several websites that I found online was listing 106K as an invalid marking, so that's what was confusing the heck out of me. Again, thanks! :D

Its the same as resistors with a different number of colour bands, with experience you can quickly work out its value.

That's excellent advice and matches the way I was taught to see capacitor markings too. :)

"The same as a 3 band resistor" so is digit + digit + number of zeros (in pF).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back