Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help choosing gyro and accelerometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris414

I'm building an imitation segway, much like this guy did: Building a Balancing Scooter. I dont have any experience with gyros or accelerometers, so was hoping for some advice before i waste my money on something that's not going to work

For the gyro:
Looking at the gyros by Analogue Devices on this page: Gyroscopes | MEMS | Analog Devices
What range should I be looking at? I was thinking of using 50 deg/s for when measuring more fine movements ie. when the thing just needs to stay balanced and upright, and using a 150 deg/s for sudden changes of alignment... would that be alright?

For the accelerometer:
I've read that for balancing robots using gyros, it's best to use two accelerometers mounted perpendicular to one another to find where the absolute "up" direction is (tho once you're moving you can't use the accelerometer anymore so you integrate the angular rate from the gyro to determine position). What accelerometer should I be looking at? A range of 2g should be fine shouldn't it? after all i'm only trying to find the direction of gravity... I was thinking the ADXL203 from this page Low g Accelerometers | MEMS | Analog Devices.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back