Need help building a small heating apperatus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

isaacb3434

I have this idea to create a "Electronic Dabber". All a "dabber" is a small metal rod that is used to scoop concentrates (waxy and essential oils). In order to get the concentrate off of that dabber you must heat it with a lighter so the concentrate will heat up and fall into where ever you are trying to drop the concentrate on. I have this vision that this product could be very simple, but I don't know how to create nor know where to start with building a particularly small heating element that's able to heat up the metal rod as efficiently as possible. Any suggestions and comments welcome!
Thanks!

Example of a regular dabber

Isaac Bondoc
isaac.bondoc@gmail.com

What temperature do you have to heat it to?
Could the dabber be a U-shaped piece of Nichrome wire?

I'm assuming your want a dabber where the battery/circuit/switch is in the "handle", while the dabber itself is a rod-like thing sticking out of the handle?

Approximately 150 degrees Fahrenheit
I'm not too familiar with Nichrome wire, but I assume it is very flexible? So a U-shaped piece would be difficult to implement.

Yes, that's exactly how I envisioned the handle to have the battery/circuit/switch in the handle with the dabber sticking out.

Google Nichrome. It is an alloy which is formed into a wire which has a specified resistance (Ω/meter). You could put a u-shaped Nichrome wire inside a pyrex tube. The lower the thermal mass of the dabber, the quicker it will heat. Here is the ultimate long, skinny heater. It heats to ~800degF in ~5s. That takes several hundred watts; you will need less, but still likely >20W.
Hard to get that repeatedly from a small battery.

Use a soldering iron, handle down, with removed tip and core assembly. Those removed leaves a hollow tube where to insert the dabber. A temperature controlled soldering base or a dimmer will set the desired temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…