Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help building a small heating apperatus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

isaacb3434

I have this idea to create a "Electronic Dabber". All a "dabber" is a small metal rod that is used to scoop concentrates (waxy and essential oils). In order to get the concentrate off of that dabber you must heat it with a lighter so the concentrate will heat up and fall into where ever you are trying to drop the concentrate on. I have this vision that this product could be very simple, but I don't know how to create nor know where to start with building a particularly small heating element that's able to heat up the metal rod as efficiently as possible. Any suggestions and comments welcome!
Thanks!

Example of a regular dabber
steel_big_buddah_1024x1024.png

Isaac Bondoc
isaac.bondoc@gmail.com

What temperature do you have to heat it to?
Could the dabber be a U-shaped piece of Nichrome wire?

I'm assuming your want a dabber where the battery/circuit/switch is in the "handle", while the dabber itself is a rod-like thing sticking out of the handle?

Approximately 150 degrees Fahrenheit
I'm not too familiar with Nichrome wire, but I assume it is very flexible? So a U-shaped piece would be difficult to implement.

Yes, that's exactly how I envisioned the handle to have the battery/circuit/switch in the handle with the dabber sticking out.

Google Nichrome. It is an alloy which is formed into a wire which has a specified resistance (Ω/meter). You could put a u-shaped Nichrome wire inside a pyrex tube. The lower the thermal mass of the dabber, the quicker it will heat. Here is the ultimate long, skinny heater. It heats to ~800degF in ~5s. That takes several hundred watts; you will need less, but still likely >20W.
Hard to get that repeatedly from a small battery.

Use a soldering iron, handle down, with removed tip and core assembly. Those removed leaves a hollow tube where to insert the dabber. A temperature controlled soldering base or a dimmer will set the desired temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back