Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Guidance for this Sharp 16x2 LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubdh23

Hi, I got this Sharp LM162KS1 16x2 LCD from ebay. On ebay it said that it uses HD44780 driver. I dont see any thing on the LCD or on the net that says that it uses the Hitachi driver. This piece of crap data sheet is all i found

**broken link removed**

Should i do the programming assuming it uses the Hitachi ? On ebay it says it does but no where else on the net says so. Does anyone know?

cubdh23 said:
Hi, I got this Sharp LM162KS1 16x2 LCD from ebay. On ebay it said that it uses HD44780 driver. I dont see any thing on the LCD or on the net that says that it uses the Hitachi driver. This piece of crap data sheet is all i found

**broken link removed**

Should i do the programming assuming it uses the Hitachi ? On ebay it says it does but no where else on the net says so. Does anyone know?

Can you take a photo of the LCD?

cubdh23 said:

Almost all LCD text modules use the Hitachi chip set, assuming it's got one of the standard connectors I'd go ahead any try it.

This is the picture of my LCD

It seems to have 14 main pins and 2 pins for positive LED and 2 for negative LED

It is on a PCB and it has numerious very tiny holes where it seems connections are to be made. I dont know what that is about. But 14 main holes.

Attachments

• 5a_1.JPG
    5a_1.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 1,144
COB normally means it has a controller chip. thou its a nice meaningless acryomn, it has the right number of pins for a HD44780, but my advice would be too look for a "100% compatable" controller. there are many of these, as the original HD44780 controller was phased out quite some time ago.

It's got a standard 14 pin connector - connect it up and give it a go!. The chances it isn't a standard Hitachi controller are very, very, slim - as you were sold it as one, why worry about it?.

OK thank you, i have printed out the HD44780 maunal and im going to get started. Thanks all for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back