Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need clarity on potentiometer question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bought a Pwm thyristor control circuit and I just need to double check with you guys that if the dial on the potentiometer is turned fully to the left it is in the minimal position as in it will give the minimum amount of energy to whatever it's connected to and whenever it's turned fully to the right it's letting the most power through it right? I've got it connected to a nichrome element and I'm worried that if I turn it to the wrong position I might fry the nichrome element.all 3 pins on the pot are connected and when I say left that's with the pins pointing down and the dial is pointing towards me.this is the Pwm circuit I'm talking about it's 2000w 220v
images.jpeg

There like $3 on eBay and there's hundreds of listings of them. usually most dials and volume controls go from left to right.i don't have a multimeter and I can't think of any other way to test this out.

The norm is that fully clockwise is the max position. However, it could be either. Can you use an extra long length of wire (or two elements in series) or a bulb to check it?

Mike.

To test your board and the configuration of the pot, connect the output to a 220 Volt incandescent* lamp. (not florescent or LED)

That will be a load that can handle the full output voltage. Then observe the brightness of the lamp as you adjust the pot.

* (If you can still find one)

The norm is that fully clockwise is the max position. However, it could be either. Can you use an extra long length of wire (or two elements in series) or a bulb to check it?

Mike.
This. When referencing a rotating pot as facing the pot it is best to refer to position as CW (ClockWise) or CCW (Counter ClockWise). Normally in a circuit like this, as pointed out, clockwise rotation will increase the power out and a good simple test would be a 100 watt incandescent lamp.

Ron

Ron, reread my post, noting the word clockwise.:D

Mike.
Yeah, about all I did was cover what you already covered. Not quite a productive post on my part. :(

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back