Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need advice from experts for an oscilloscope cmos battery replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohkam

My MTX 3352 digital oscilloscope cmos battery got low and need replacement.

Original battery specs : varta brand Li-Manganese dioxide With PCB solder tags
1/2 AA 3V-950mah, non-rechargeable battery.

Found available on the market : NX brand Lithium-thionyl chloride ER14250 1/2 AA 3.6V 1.2Ah PP (Ref : PCL9005) without solder tags.

Question : Is it risky to use the 3.6V 1.2Ah battery instead of the 3V-950mah ?
If so, do I need to use a diode to drop the +0.7V excess and then what about the +250mah ?
Or is there any simpler and more efficient circuit to fit the 3.6V without risk for my oscilloscope.

Thanks

10% difference. I would assume that's okay. I certainly wouldn't worry about it if it was any other kind of circuit but there might be something about CMOS battery backups that I am unaware of.

Wow. The discharge curves for Lithium-thionyl chloride chemistry look amazing. Most people would have trouble hand-drawing a rectangle better than the graph is.

10% difference. I would assume that's okay. I certainly wouldn't worry about it if it was any other kind of circuit but there might be something about CMOS battery backups that I am unaware of.

Wow. The discharge curves for Lithium-thionyl chloride chemistry look amazing. Most people would have trouble hand-drawing a rectangle better than the graph is.

Thanks for your quick reply.
Please note that difference is 20% 3.6V instead of 3v !

The voltage curves and rated capacity for those new batteries are for very low currents.
They are crazy to make AAA, AA, C and D normal sizes for these high voltage batteries. The 18650 Lithium high voltage battery will not fit in an AA battery holder to prevent overvoltage to a product.

What you want is a CR14250. Which is a 3 Volt Lithium Manganese battery, 1/2 AA package.

I calculate 3.6V to be 20% more than 3V.

My MTX 3352 digital oscilloscope cmos battery got low and need replacement.

Original battery specs : varta brand Li-Manganese dioxide With PCB solder tags
1/2 AA 3V-950mah, non-rechargeable battery.

Found available on the market : NX brand Lithium-thionyl chloride ER14250 1/2 AA 3.6V 1.2Ah PP (Ref : PCL9005) without solder tags.

Question : Is it risky to use the 3.6V 1.2Ah battery instead of the 3V-950mah ?
If so, do I need to use a diode to drop the +0.7V excess and then what about the +250mah ?
Or is there any simpler and more efficient circuit to fit the 3.6V without risk for my oscilloscope.

Thanks

The Lithium thionyl chloride have exceptionally long shelf life. They are to intended for any significant current and overheating one can cause a problem you don't want to deal with. The thionyl chloride is a liquid that is reactive with humidity that forms HCl gas and SO2 gas as the reaction products. I know the guys at the biggest manacturer of these batteries and they claim they are safe when used in appropriate applications. In other words, make damn sure you know what appropriate means.

The spec's I found were for a cheap Chinese ER14250 battery that did not say its length is 1/2 an ordinary AA size, it simply said "AA".
Nobody has found one with solder tags.

I wish to thank every contributor.

Problem was solved by soldering a 3V Li-Manganese dioxide battery 1200A instead of the 3V-950mah with PCB solder tags, and gluing the battery to the mobo for better security.

Please note that the initial issue was my oscilloscope refused to turn on : it always went to sleep mode, when switched on. Replacing the cmos battery solved the issue. This might help others having same problem.

Dont care what people say, Lithium-thionyl chloride int something i would trust in my house. Nuclear reactors are a good power source but again not in my backyard thx. Seriouly though, Thats some combination of chemicals to have in a battery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back