Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a way to convert PC fonts into fonts for a micro-controller LED display.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdg8934

Currently I am using an excel speadsheet to draw out ascii fonts for use in my micro-controller for a LED display. They are given either HEX or BINARY values. I like Binary because I can see them easily and change if needed but HEX values are so much shorter. Is there an easier way or method to auto convert fonts into 1s and 0s or HEX values for let's say a 5x7 or 8x8 font ascii set?

Here is an example:

' ! 21
DATA %11101111
DATA %11000111
DATA %11000111
DATA %11000111
DATA %11101111
DATA %11111111
DATA %11101111
DATA %11111111

it doesn't have to be inverted either.

If you're capable you could write yourself a program to do it, but most Windows fonts are Truetype so aren't a simple bitmap.

You could always 'steal' the font from my LED matrix tutorial, I based it on the font in an LCD text module - and did it all by hand.

I have been using for years a TTF LCD5x8 font made by Fr Tom Magee of Piclist.
But now it seems a google search cant find any of tom's pages... :(

Anyway I did find this TTF font, it looks the same.

**broken link removed**

So it sounds like no one has found a way to create font's for LED signs except by manual entry. I can't believe that all of these LED sign manufacturers created 127+ characters for 'multiple' fonts manually within each micro-controller. Hmm.

I have stolen the fonts out of LCD displays. Some you can read back the font table. Most have the font information in the data sheet.

Thanks I will take a look. However, this link looks like only 0x00, 0xFF and 0x2F so I don't think thoses are fonts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back