Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a little help for my electrical box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I'm putting some sort of electrical box togetter in order to have the outlets on and off with a switch. Like, when the switch is OFF, both outlets should be OFF as well. There's a pilot light when it's ON.

I made a little drawing of what I have at hand and I just want a little help not to screws things with a bad connexion and damage something.

Sorry if it's a stupid question.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Why not just buy a power strip with a switch and light? They are commonly available. It's a lot easier and probably cheaper too.

Because it will already connect to a strip and I don't want to have 56 outlets and load the line.
That's just to turn off my big audio monitors from the desk, and when I turn off the stirp on the desk, then the whole station is off.
They don't sell powerstrips with only 2 outlets

Tho I know how to wire things for the current to flow, I'm just wondering if I need to wire the outlet in a special way ? should it be the upper left screw and the lower right screw? do I need 4 wires to satisfy the "code"
i don't know the electrical code and stuff

Last edited:
Here's your diagram with the connections. Black is hot, red is switched hot, white is neutral, and green is safety ground. As I've shown, connect the safety ground to the metal box.

Any questions, post them here.
View attachment 60570

Thank you sir, that's very helpful !

I do have a question, is it necessary to connect to both gold (and both silver) screws on the outlet ? I tested them for continuity and it beeped.
If it's not necessary, what's the use for 2 screws ?

I do have a question, is it necessary to connect to both gold (and both silver) screws on the outlet ? I tested them for continuity and it beeped.
If it's not necessary, what's the use for 2 screws ?
If the two are connected together than you only need to connect one. The two screws allow daisy chaining of the wires without requiring a wire nut. Alternately there usually is a tab you can break on the gold connection that allows separation of the two outputs so you could switch one and have the other one powered continually (sometimes used to control a table/floor lamp from a wall switch).

Last edited:
There is a little issue tho... the pilot light is always ON, even when I toggle the switch OFF.
Here's what the PDF of the switch says:

**broken link removed**

Do I simply need to flip the red (gold screw instead of black) and black wire (black screw instead of gold) on the switch ?

edit: it worked!

thanks a lot for the help :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back