Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need a battery current and voltage converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

induction1

i have sealed lead acid battery (12 volt 2 AH) and i am planning on running a 24vdc, 1amp fan off of it. how can i convert the current and voltage with the least amount of circuitry? i know electronics basics, but am rather inexperienced. also, what is the best kind of solar cell for recharging this battery? any additional info would be appreciated.

thanks alot

You can wither use two 12V batteries in series or go for a boost type DC to DC converter.

If efficiency weren't an issue I'd be inclined to scrounge around the workshop and experiment. I'd locate a suitable transformer that would handle a few amps on the input and output with a 1:2 or similar ratio. Then I'd play around with some substantial power transistors (protect them with diodes) and a circuit to turn them on and off at some variable rate - apply this to the primary (the low end) and see what comes out - it will be AC that you can rectify/smooth. It won't be pretty but may get you where you want to go. What I've described is a crude version of the old vibrator supplies that car radios from the 50's were equipped with - the vibrator was more or less a relay that turned itself on and off and pulsed the primary of the transformer.

I see a lot of requests for up convertors. There are more efficient and elegant ways to do it - this outlines a crude approach that allows utilization of junkbox components. Again, unlikely that it will be efficient.

ypu can use a switching power suply. they are smaller, compared to the transformer and the circuit you will have and provide a better efficency.(i think so, they are around 80-90%. i am not sure, but i dont think that you get more than that by using a circuit with the transformer.)
also, the voltage is more stabilized, for the transformer you need a good secondary winding, because it might have a relatively big resistance so you will have a big drop on the maximum load.
or you can use a DC-DC converter, wich is almost the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back