Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need 2 good speakers of living room TV ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

I bough a speaker system from Best Buy it is about 3 ft long it sets in front of the TV. Sound is not good I took it apart it has 2 small speakers 1 at each end both speakers are 2" x 3". Returned for refund.

I have some good music quality computer speakers on the TV now they worked good until they quit working. Sounds like a bad power supply capacitor lots of 60 Hz hum. I can fix these speakers but wife wants better speakers.

I bought more speakers to test they have no phone jack it has different type plug that fits the TV but no sound at all. No options in menu to turn on sound to TV speakers. People at store said, use your smart phone to turn the sound on. I have no smart phone I got a refund. TV is 3 yrs old.

Don't want a $600 surround sound system don't want to spend that much money.

I have 2 good stereo speakers I wonder if TV amplifier has enough watts for these, plug needs to be changed to fit TV?

Can't buy 1/8" phone jacks anymore male or female has the name changed? I have 28 speakers I could test some with a phone jack. Wire on factory made stuff is small #28 wire I can not get that tiny wire to solder not sure why?

Any ideas for easy to hookup low price speakers so TV volume control works on external speakers???

Last edited:
No, outputs from TV are line-out and connected to the input of a multimedia aka ("Audio/Video") receiver and controlled with the remote for the receiver.

Looks like you are outta luck unless you invest in a universal remote.

TV is UNLIKELY to be in Stereo.
So If you want Good Sound, Just get a Single Speaker in a Good Speaker Cabinet.
Possibly Disconnect the Internal Speaker and only connect this External one.

A headphone socket isn't a speaker socket, it's too high an impedance, and too low power - it's only suitable for feeding headphones or amplified speakers.

If you want to feed passive speakers you need to run wires out from the TV to feed them. I did that for a number of customers at work and along with a pair of book shelf speakers it makes a world of difference.

Easiest thing to do (as you have a headphone socket) is to buy some amplified computer speakers, preferably ones with a sub-woofer - these will plug straight in and greatly improve your TV sound.

The ones you got with out a jack input were probably digital only, and need to plug into an optical output on the TV, or a digital phono socket output (usually an orange one) - but the TV volume control won't work on these.

The TV probably has a low level headphones jack or a jack to connect to an amplifier, not to connect speakers.
If you take the TV apart and connect your better speakers to replace the TV's speakers then the sound will be almost as bad as the tiny TV speakers because they saved some money by using tiny cheaper capacitors that cannot feed low frequencies. Also, the connections inside the TV to its internal speakers might be directly connected to the AC electricity and be a shock hazard.

If you take the TV apart and connect your better speakers to replace the TV's speakers then the sound will be almost as bad as the tiny TV speakers because they saved some money by using tiny cheaper capacitors that cannot feed low frequencies. Also, the connections inside the TV to its internal speakers might be directly connected to the AC electricity and be a shock hazard.

Am I the only person on these boards who's seen inside a TV in the last 30 years?.

TV's only had live chassis in ancient history, and it's ONLY the speakers that limit decent bass in the TV, adding external ones works great.

What brand and model number is your TV?

What brand and model number is your TV?

Emerson model LF501EM6F i bought it December 3 years ago. TV is 46" wide.

I figured output power is problem enough for the tiny speaker in the TV probably not enough power for a larger speaker.

I am getting 2 channels out of the TV not sure if it is mono on the ear phones or stereo both ear phones have sound. 1/8" plug has 3 connections common plus 2 others. When I plug ear phones into external speaker plug TV speaker stops working.

YES external plug in speakers will be an easy fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjw
Emerson model LF501EM6F i bought it December 3 years ago.

As far as I'm aware, Emerson is just a cheap crap 'make', just a badge put on cheap imported sets? - rather like Bush etc. over here.

I figured output power is problem enough for the tiny speaker in the TV probably not enough power for a larger speaker.

As I've already explained, the limiting factor is the speakers in the TV, and while the output power is only 2-3W it's plenty to feed a pair of bookshelf speakers at reasonable TV listening levels. You're not going to be annoying the neighbors, or running a disco, but it's fine for normal TV viewing. If you've got a pair of bookshelf speakers kicking around, it's worth taking the back of the TV and trying them (as it costs you nothing) - if you'e got to go out and buy speakers, I would buy computer ones instead, with a sub.

I am getting 2 channels out of the TV not sure if it is mono on the ear phones or stereo both ear phones have sound. 1/8" plug has 3 connections common plus 2 others. When I plug ear phones into external speaker plug TV speaker stops working.

TV's have all been stereo for MANY years, and certainly all DTT sets have been - I don't know where people get these ideas from about TV's been mono?, are we in a 1970's timewarp?.

As I suggested previously, easiest solution (at low cost), is a decent set of computer speakers with a sub-woofer - this will improve the sound beyond recognition.

They Probably are in Stereo, But the Internal Speakers are So Close together, Can you really Hear a Stereo Effect?
I Can't on mine.

TV is UNLIKELY to be in Stereo.
So If you want Good Sound, Just get a Single Speaker in a Good Speaker Cabinet.
Possibly Disconnect the Internal Speaker and only connect this External one.
stereo audio has been standard on TVs and TV programming for about 15-20 years now. TV manufacturers figured out that the two speakers don't give much of a stereo effect on their own, so they added some DSP functions to the audio processing to artificially widen the sound field.

stereo audio has been standard on TVs and TV programming for about 15-20 years now. TV manufacturers figured out that the two speakers don't give much of a stereo effect on their own, so they added some DSP functions to the audio processing to artificially widen the sound field.

And the sets that don't have stereo cost $0.83 cents less to manufacture but sit on the store shelves forever. No consumer will pick the mono-audio to save the $1.25 retail premium when they can have stereo.

I bought a Home Theater System with Blue Tooth $99.95. 4 speakers are each 3" square. Woofer sound bar has 2 speakers 2" diameter each. Wires to speakers are #26 wire. Wire are so small they will not stay in the wire clamps they keep slipping out. With sound turned up TV is 2 times louder than the sound system but the sound coming from the sound system sounds better quality. I told wife leave sound system volume all the way up then use TV remote to change the volume, turn volume up to 50 instead of 25. The 8" x 10" x 12" large box with a volume control makes the whole system look, more better, less worser, more gooder, it will fool stupid people. LOL. I bet there is nothing inside that big black box just a volume control for the 6 speakers. I bet the whole sound system is powered by the TV amplifier. No technical information on the box or instructions at all. I am surprised the box does not say, 200 nanowatts to make it sound powerful. LOL. Oh well........wife likes it better than the other speakers that buzzed I guess that is all the matters.

Last edited:
The large box probably has a woofer. The little 3" speakers are midrange and the tiny 2" speakers are tweeters.
Is the home Theater System powered from the AC electricity mains? If it is then it has little low power amplifiers in it.

The large box probably has a woofer. The little 3" speakers are midrange and the tiny 2" speakers are tweeters.
Is the home Theater System powered from the AC electricity mains? If it is then it has little low power amplifiers in it.

The box has a place to attach 10 speaker wires on the back. There is a 1" diameter hole in the back. Front has 3 LED lights and 3 push buttons and 1 volume control. Instructions says the 3 push buttons turn the 3 LED lights on/off. Box is solid wood on all 6 sides. Box is very light weight 2 lbs. If there is a speaker inside sound must come out of the 1" diameter hole. Speaker must be very light weight. There is a 120 vac cord on the back of the box. Instructions shows a drawing that shows a square shape with 3 LED lights, 3 push buttons and volume control. If there is a low power amplifier it must be very low TV volume is 2 times louder than the Theater System.

Your sound system might be too cheap to produce good sounds.
We do not know if the amplifier voltage gain is simply too low or if the maximum undistorted power is too low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back