Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need 110VAC variable power supply for a power tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyC

I plan to purchase a die grinder and want to use in a low-rpm mode. I would prefer to purchase a variable-speed, low-range grinder but the one I really like (Makita GD0810C), 1800 - 7000 rpm, is no longer available.

So I'll end up getting one of the conventional tools that run up to a no-load speed of 20,000 rpm. I need to step this down with (preferably) a simple variable power supply w/ a "rheostat" control on it.

Does anyone know where I can find one "ready to go"? Some devices I've seen advertised spec out as so many Ω and such-and-such power (e.g., 500W). The tool I have in mind is 4.3 load amps (500W).

To be clear, I'm imagining something I simply plug into and that has a rotary control on it. A suggestion and weblink to a vendor would be excellent.

Any help is appreciated.

If you Google "motor speed controller" you will get many hits. Just pick one that can handle at least as much current as your motor draws.

Google "Router Speed Control", there are a lot of them out there that can handle up to 20 amps and would work with you application.

The reply by crutschow wasn't very helpful. I did Google "motor speed controller" and the list was fairly generic and nothing popped out on several pages that came close to what I was looking for.

Per the advice by nsklavos, I Googled "Router Speed Control" and came up with 5 or 6 links that took me to exactly where I wanted to go! Who knew that the controller I was looking for appears to be in demand for woodworkers who want to reduce router rpm? I happen to have a router on a shaper table and it never occurred to me that a reduced speed could be of any advantage.

Anyway, in my latter search, I found any number of devices that should do the trick for my die grinder. The one from Harbor Freight is good for 15a and costs only $20. Sweet. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back